Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sons leaving for bootcamp

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:16 AM
  • 2 Replies

I am running on happiness and sadness all at the same time... I really dont have a support group or family to help me through this change in our lives.. My one and only son Eddie is leaving for bootcamp  for National Guards soon and I am a wreck.. He is 18 and he's really never been away from home only for a couple days here and there.  Does anyone have any suggestions? advice?

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Stay busy... he will be back before you know it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
salamandersmom
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM
2 moms liked this

For him - remember its a game, all the yelling and yelling and yelling.  Just do what you are told, when you are told.  Do your best... Don't whine.  Please don't be THAT GUY that goes in, knowing he is NOT the top dog, and still gets into a pissing match with the Drill Sergeant, making everyone else get punished.  Everyone hates that guy, and wants to beat him up when the Drill Sergeant isn't looking.  You will be sad, lonely, and depressed.  Just remember the time will fly by before you know it, and you will be done.  You may think you have made a terrible mistake.  You haven't.  All of this is to make you a better person. And above all, remember that if the Drill Sergeant NEVER KNOWS YOUR NAME, you're doing good. 

For you... sigh.  Much harder!!  You will want to be there to make everything better.  You can't do that.  You are at the HARDEST POINT in being the mother... The only thing that I could imagine being worse would be to have to say goodbye and bury your child.  You have to open your hand and let your little birdie fly free.  You know it's going to be hard, and it's going to hurt both him and you.  But it has to happen.  This was your goal, remember?  To raise a strong, healthy, happy child who will be a wonderful adult.  I know how hard this is... I've had to let four of my five go.  Three have chosen to be Soldiers!  One in the USAF, two in the Army.  One is a combat medic, and the other is an infantryman... he's home on leave now, and I am crying right now, knowing that in only a few days I have to let him go... let him go back, so they can send him to Afghanistan, where I know he will be in danger.  You pray for him, and you don't let him know how scared you are.  Write him letters.  Every day if you can.  You don't have to say much... just tell him little stuff about daily life at home.  Tell him you are proud of him, and encourage him.  And, he's going to be National Guard, so he'll be home again after Basic and AIT.  the days will pass by quickly, though its going to be an adjustment for all of you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)