Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families
Hey ladies! I also posted this in the navy wives group but I posted it here to maximize my results lol.

I'm sure this gets old but I'm on day two of my husbands first "work up" before going on actual deployment. I'm fine during the day and everything for the most part but when I get into bed I just get so sad. Even now I have tears in my eyes from just missing him.

Anyone have any tips on how to not go to sleep every single night with tears?

I really do keep busy during the day.

Also do you guys have any tips on not being so nervous being home alone? We don't have kids yet, and of course we just got to this command so I can't invite a friend over to stay with me, 'cause they're non-existent at this point. We have 3 shot guns and I keep one right next to the bed and were in a good neighborhood but I still get so nervous so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks (:
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Replies (21-26):
alliesaurus
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

a dog or cat.

it helped me. My dog is a little wiener dog, so while she may not really scare anyone off she will bark if someone tried to come in during the night she would alert me. She also cuddles and keeps me company. Its nice having something to "take care of". 

Find something you can enjoy...maybe take the time to go and meet people?

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM
I adopted my aunts shih tzu, who was my grandmothers before she passed away from cancer. Shih tzu have hair versus fur if that makes sense... He doesn't shed and my grandmother was allergic so the shih tzu was the only one she could handle. He is a super lap dog, but you are right its hard to sometimes find rentals.
I feel you on scary movies and stuff. I had to lay off shows like the first 48. Makes you paranoid.

Quoting meghanf0xx:

I'm thinking about getting a quote from ADT or an alarm system similar to it. And I would love love love to get a dog! You have no idea. I'd also like a kitty for some company, but of course my husband is allergic to both and our landlord doesn't want us having pets. ): 

I think the reason I get nervous mostly is i'll stupidly watch something semi-scary at night! Haha 24 and still scared of movies/tv shows. 

Quoting adoptivemomof1:

I got ADT for nights hubby isn't home and it makes me feel safer with the little one at night...it connects right to the police department if anything happens...it's also connected to the fire department...and it is surprisingly affordable...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CayShek
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM
My best friend did this when she got a divorce & she said it really helped her get used to the alone time because you get to "know" the characters & it just feels like your with some of your favorite people

Quoting beerebelly:

Slip into a comfy pair of pjs. Find a tv series on netflix you haven't seen before and start watching an episode each night. You will come to look foward to that time alone each night enjoying the show. I recommend sons of anarchy or breaking bad : )

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Coconutty4Hubby
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM

What is a 'work up'?

Coconutty4Hubby
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM

My DH was deployed from 7 Nov to 19 April...  Our DS was 7 months old when he deployed, which means DH missed every single first holiday our son had (T~Day, X~mas, New Years, Easter, V~Day), and he missed DS's first tooth, DS's first steps, DS's first birthday, DS's first everything!

I'm not going to lie, it was hard to not go to bed without tears...

You need a support system, another wife who maybe has a hubby deployed...  Need to find crafts, a job, something fun to do!  And, maybe a pet will help?  Or, the tv and laptop/tablet, those were my BFFs ;) 

Also, don't forget to start planning those car packages!  :)

MisisMags
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:13 AM
It's true, it just takes time. This is my hubby's 7th deployment in 13 years and it never gets easier. My heart breaks into a million pieces every time he leaves. But you just gotta stay strong and think positive thoughts!

It's natural to be afraid. Just make sure you lock your doors and garage all the time (do you have a dog?) and leave a few lights on to make you feel safer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN