Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Is this the only group that...? (R word related.)

Posted by   + Show Post
Are we the only group that categorically does not allow the use of the R word?

I have always liked and respected that about this group. I commend you all, ladies. I honestly appreciate that.

But are we the only ones? I saw it in another group today and it made my skin crawl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Replies (61-70):
asaffell
by Ashley on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Some people have barely evolved past grunts and yells, as evidenced in this thread. Decency is a bit above their brain function. ;)

Quoting DevilInPigtails:

It isn't about offending people, there are plenty of other words to use for that.  It is about showing a little decency and giving a group of people with a diagnosis a little dignity.  

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Ah, yes. Dependapix. Wannabe badasses because they have nothing else going for them. Oh, well. Not my problem!

Quoting asaffell:

LOL

And I'm really glad I'm not involved with the people who start pages like OSMW and the like. Small people talk about other people. :)

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I can't wait to tell my friends that I have no friends. ::giggle::

Mama_Gleich
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM
What is the "R-Word"? Lol!
LOswald0314
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
No, we're not the only group. We don't even use it in a clinical setting anymore, it's so pervasive. The new term is intellectual disabilities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOswald0314
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM
It's actually not even politically correct anymore. We use intellectual disabilities in the clinical setting.

Quoting afwifey4510:

Technically the term is still politically correct..but obviously it has bad stigma attached to it. A lot of cm women have special needs kids and it hits home.

Quoting paknari:

What if it's not used in a derogatory fashion? I only ask that because retarded just means slow. I don't use it because it's against TOS but I still don't get why the term is so upsetting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
afwifey4510
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Retardation was still acceptable 2 years ago as a that grey area between being just plain stupid (no disabilities) and mild forms of disabilities. If it changed since I quit working my bad.

Quoting LOswald0314:

It's actually not even politically correct anymore. We use intellectual disabilities in the clinical setting.

Quoting afwifey4510:

Technically the term is still politically correct..but obviously it has bad stigma attached to it. A lot of cm women have special needs kids and it hits home.

Quoting paknari:

What if it's not used in a derogatory fashion? I only ask that because retarded just means slow. I don't use it because it's against TOS but I still don't get why the term is so upsetting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbriCrazy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Lmmfao

Delusional.

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

yeah, drama.  This is why women hate other military spouses.  Holy shit.  Get over it!  You wonder why there is a group called Overly Sensitive Military Wives.  You wonder why you don't have IRL (in real life) friends?  This is why...  Hope your happy.  Because all you seem is bitchy and rude.

Have a good night, I have to finish cleaning and feed my kid dinner...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
She's more than welcome to take her argument to any other CM group. I guarantee she will get the same reaction. Being military has nothing to do with it. So yeah .. delusional. (And lameo)

Quoting AbriCrazy:

Lmmfao

Delusional.

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

yeah, drama.  This is why women hate other military spouses.  Holy shit.  Get over it!  You wonder why there is a group called Overly Sensitive Military Wives.  You wonder why you don't have IRL (in real life) friends?  This is why...  Hope your happy.  Because all you seem is bitchy and rude.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbriCrazy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Agreed.

Make sure to tell your friends why you don't have "real life" friends. Lol

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

She's more than welcome to take her argument to any other CM group. I guarantee she will get the same reaction. Being military has nothing to do with it. So yeah .. delusional. (And lameo)

Quoting AbriCrazy:

Lmmfao

Delusional.

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by Melissa on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this

The 'R' word is against TOS last time I checked. It is really disrespectful- even when a person has a disability. It's is better to use the term of their affliction. If you think someone is 'slow', just say they're slow. Don't be a jerk. It's incredibly unbecoming.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN