Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Any civil service knowledge?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM
  • 12 Replies
I am currently a permanent GS employee with an active duty spouse. My son was diagnosed with Leukemia in June. I spoke with my supervisor and explained I still want my job just need the time to get my son healthy. He tells me do what I need to do. I enroll in FMLA and submit the letter from the doctors saying he'll get chemo for at least 6-9 months minimal and I need to be with him in case of any complications. I have a website set up that my supervisor has access to so he can see whats happening through this whole process. Well today he tells me since I have finally ran out of leave I can have 30 days of leave without pay and then I either have to show up to work or he will start AWOL paperwork to follow with abandoment to have me terminated. I talked to the union they told me to file for advance annual leave and they can't do this legally. Does anyone on here know any other recourse I may have? This economy is way to bad to just resign. Plus I already used my military spouse preference so I'll never get back in the system. Off post jobs think 7-8 dollars is a top paying job so that is not an option either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Susan0805
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM
What does your fmla paper work say? They have to allow you off for the dates in fmla.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mineandme
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM
I checked with the HR lady who handles it and she said she put unknown end date. My supervisor said I only get until now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:02 AM
I hope you get everything figured out and I will be praying for your son. How old is he? My friend's son, who is also my children's friend, has been battling cancer for 2 years. It is so scary and heartbreaking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mineandme
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:06 AM
He turned 10 in June, it really is. Just hope the people making this decision to try and force me out dont ever have to deal with anything like this and be put in the same position.

Quoting cocoroo:

I hope you get everything figured out and I will be praying for your son. How old is he? My friend's son, who is also my children's friend, has been battling cancer for 2 years. It is so scary and heartbreaking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Oh, my gosh. How heartbreaking. I have no idea, but you and your family will all be in my prayers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firemom702
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:00 AM
This. Hugs!

Quoting Apollos82:

Oh, my gosh. How heartbreaking. I have no idea, but you and your family will all be in my prayers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shanna_hi
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:27 AM
Have you looked into the donated leave program? It's where people can donate their extra leave to you. Also, check the OPM website and see what it says.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:09 AM
Fmla is only 12 weeks. Beyond that you can ask to be a recipient of donated leave. Otherwise you can ask for a leave of absence that will put you in lwop.

Prayers for a full recovery for your son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I am praying for your son's full recovery.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I am sorry for what's happening to your son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)