Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Does anyone know of how I can have my husband served?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM
  • 20 Replies

Hey ladies, I was wondering if any of you knew how I could serve my husband with papers? I don't have any friends on base near him or anything and he's in a different state than I am... any ideas?

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lizzys_mommy13
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Your friends don't serve the papers. Your lawyer will have authorities do it.

sweetfox3
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Have your lawyer coordinate with the Provost Marshall's Office on your STBX's post to have him served.

(in the course of my job, I get this question at least twice a week. Legal assistance paralegal, active duty Army)
starry_mom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

The state I live in allows any neutral party over 14 years old to serve papers... that's why I said it that way

eringlading
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this
I would still do it legally to avoid the chance of him not getting them. U want a paper trail and a lawyer involved to protect yourself.

Quoting starry_mom:

The state I live in allows any neutral party over 14 years old to serve papers... that's why I said it that way

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM
You should speak to your lawyer about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM

you should pay to have the sherriff do it. it is only the sure way to get them served and you cannot go by the state you live in but that state he lives in.

you can also do it by certified mail or by courier, this is how I served my ex.

afwifey4510
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Do it by sheriff or certified mail, that way you have proof he got everything, and can't pull a fast one.

Quoting starry_mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanD
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Your attorney will handle it. Either the authorities will serve him or a processer service will serve him. Its not difficult and your attorney will know exactly how to go about getting in touch with someone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Valerie_G
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I also did it through certified mail. The post card you receive back after he signs for it is your proof.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof2Stepof3
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Ummm when I did my divorce I could pick anyone to serve my ex-husband. My best friend at the time did it while I stood a half block away.

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

Your friends don't serve the papers. Your lawyer will have authorities do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)