Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know of how I can have my husband served?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey ladies, I was wondering if any of you knew how I could serve my husband with papers? I don't have any friends on base near him or anything and he's in a different state than I am... any ideas?

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
Momof2Stepof3
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

2 ways I've done it while my ex lived out of state was. Through certified mail at the post office 100% legal and also did it through FedEx this last time. Both times I paid extra so he'd have to sign for it.

Every Time the courts serve my current husband they are through the mail certified.

Quoting starry_mom:

Hey ladies, I was wondering if any of you knew how I could serve my husband with papers? I don't have any friends on base near him or anything and he's in a different state than I am... any ideas?

PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Your lawyer hires a process server.

Momof2Stepof3
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM

In the state of California any one over the age of 16 can serve some one after they serve the person they fill out a form an sign it. 

I have served several people.

Quoting eringlading:

I would still do it legally to avoid the chance of him not getting them. U want a paper trail and a lawyer involved to protect yourself.

Quoting starry_mom:

The state I live in allows any neutral party over 14 years old to serve papers... that's why I said it that way

Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM
I had my attorney handle it. It's worth the cost IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by Cassie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM
You will need to consult with you lawyer or research the laws of the state he lives in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Does your dh often get served?? OSM.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

2 ways I've done it while my ex lived out of state was. Through certified mail at the post office 100% legal and also did it through FedEx this last time. Both times I paid extra so he'd have to sign for it.

Every Time the courts serve my current husband they are through the mail certified.

Quoting starry_mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marinewife55
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:10 AM
I agree, my estranged husband would run whenever he saw someone coming with papers lol if I had to do it over again I would have had it done that way. I actually had my estranged husband served at his court date with his love child's mother who he hates...so a double booyah! Lol and every time after that I've needed to serve him, its been certified mail, bout to do it again :)

Quoting eringlading:

I would still do it legally to avoid the chance of him not getting them. U want a paper trail and a lawyer involved to protect yourself.

Quoting starry_mom:

The state I live in allows any neutral party over 14 years old to serve papers... that's why I said it that way

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marinewife55
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Yeah, I'm in California and my estranged husband was served at court by his love child's mother who he hates...yeaaah, he was super pissed that day...then, another time was my nanny serving him when he dropped my dd off with her...then anything other time has been certified mail

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Ummm when I did my divorce I could pick anyone to serve my ex-husband. My best friend at the time did it while I stood a half block away.

Quoting Lizzys_mommy13:

Your friends don't serve the papers. Your lawyer will have authorities do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof2Stepof3
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Every 6 months at this time he does reviews on hi CS case so he is served 2 times a year at this time. This year alone he has been served 5 times because he is fighting with CS.

Quoting cocoroo:

Does your dh often get served?? OSM.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Quoting starry_mom:

adoptivemomof1
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM

With my ex. I went through a lawyer...it was completely worth it to get that prick out of my life so I could move on...so I agree with the ladies who are suggeting getting your lawyer take care of it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)