Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Stupid questions about DEERS, BAH, etc...

Posted by   + Show Post
My husband will hopefully have orders and be off to his duty station within the next 3-6 weeks.

I will not be able to go with him right away, because of the pregnancy. I will be staying with my mom and dad in the town we live in now until January. This is, essentially, a medical necessity.

Questions:

Will he be able to enroll us (Me, my DD and SS) in DEERS without us being physically there? What paperwork and ID will he need?

Will he most likely be housed in barracks or will he need to get a hotel room?

BAH will be according to wherever he is stationed, not where I am, correct? How long does it take to kick in?

If he is in barracks (geobatching, right?) will we still receive BAH?

Will we (SS, DS, and myself) need to undergo an EFMP screening prior to leaving our current location? (SS will not be living with us.)

What else have I missed? Could someone tell me more about a Page 2? What is that?

Also, if anyone could sort of walk me step by step through the process, I would really appreciate it--I may not have asked a question about something important! I don't know what I don't know. :)

I feel pretty stupid for asking all this, but I know you ladies have all been new at one point or another.

Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Replies (21-22):
KWnavywife
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Quoting MamiiCaliente:

I thought bah was according to the zip code in which dependent a live... That's how it's always been with us.

No, it's based on his duty station.
violinjewel
by Julia on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM
It happened when my husband deployed, because I moved to my hometown. My hometown BAH rate was lower then Denver BAH rate.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

There is a "loophole" that the military can use (the Navy does it all the time) about the BAH. It's based on the service member's duty station -- unless the family can't go there (like unaccompanied orders) -- OR - unless they decide "for the best interest if the service" to provide it where the family is. (Basically, they realize you aren't there, like you went home for the deployment, and the BAH where you went is lower and they want to be cheap... I've seen this happen - not always, but it can.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN