Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Stupid questions about DEERS, BAH, etc...

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM
  • 22 Replies
My husband will hopefully have orders and be off to his duty station within the next 3-6 weeks.

I will not be able to go with him right away, because of the pregnancy. I will be staying with my mom and dad in the town we live in now until January. This is, essentially, a medical necessity.

Questions:

Will he be able to enroll us (Me, my DD and SS) in DEERS without us being physically there? What paperwork and ID will he need?

Will he most likely be housed in barracks or will he need to get a hotel room?

BAH will be according to wherever he is stationed, not where I am, correct? How long does it take to kick in?

If he is in barracks (geobatching, right?) will we still receive BAH?

Will we (SS, DS, and myself) need to undergo an EFMP screening prior to leaving our current location? (SS will not be living with us.)

What else have I missed? Could someone tell me more about a Page 2? What is that?

Also, if anyone could sort of walk me step by step through the process, I would really appreciate it--I may not have asked a question about something important! I don't know what I don't know. :)

I feel pretty stupid for asking all this, but I know you ladies have all been new at one point or another.

Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
He can enroll everyone without you being there. He will need BC and SS cards for everyone. If he lives in the barracks, I don't think he will get BAH. His BAH will be based off of the duty station, unless he is at AIT or other unaccompanied training. You don't need EFMP screenings unless you are going OCONUS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Coco to the rescue! Thanks.

Quoting cocoroo:

He can enroll everyone without you being there. He will need BC and SS cards for everyone. If he lives in the barracks, I don't think he will get BAH. His BAH will be based off of the duty station, unless he is at AIT or other unaccompanied training. You don't need EFMP screenings unless you are going OCONUS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't be shocked if he isn't allowed to live in the barracks. 

MamiiCaliente
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM
I thought bah was according to the zip code in which dependent a live... That's how it's always been with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM
It is supposed to be based on the duty station. The only time it has been based on my location is when my dh was at BCT, AIT and unaccompanied to Korea for a year.

Quoting MamiiCaliente:

I thought bah was according to the zip code in which dependent a live... That's how it's always been with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Lmao!!

Quoting Apollos82:

Coco to the rescue! Thanks.

Quoting cocoroo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Ashley on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Nope. It's always based on his orders.

Quoting MamiiCaliente:

MamiiCaliente
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Ahh. Well the only time I pay attention to his LES is when he's overseas. So maybe that's why I thought that.

Quoting cocoroo:

It is supposed to be based on the duty station. The only time it has been based on my location is when my dh was at BCT, AIT and unaccompanied to Korea for a year.

Quoting MamiiCaliente:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sailorwifenmom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM
There is a "loophole" that the military can use (the Navy does it all the time) about the BAH. It's based on the service member's duty station -- unless the family can't go there (like unaccompanied orders) -- OR - unless they decide "for the best interest if the service" to provide it where the family is. (Basically, they realize you aren't there, like you went home for the deployment, and the BAH where you went is lower and they want to be cheap... I've seen this happen - not always, but it can.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USNHorton
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM
I filled out all the deers paper work and took it into the military center while my husband was at ATI school. He sent everything to me and I took all the necessary documents.
My husband says if y'all are married he will receive BAH for where you are located. If your not there with him he will have to stay in barracks if he is E4 and below. It all depends on where you are going and if there is any training involved. He also says you should have been receiving BAH since boot camp.
If you and the kids aren't with him due to health reasons, I believe
he will get family separation pay.
A page 2 is just a dependant sheet. Its who your wife is and how many kids you have. It requires updates every so often. He will need to update this after the baby is born.
He also says this internet stuff just takes to long. He can't really answer all your questions because he doesn't know what his job is and where you are going. He told me to send you our phone number and he could answer all your questions in 10 minutes, lol! You are more than welcome to message me or call if you have any more questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN