Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Stupid questions about DEERS, BAH, etc...

Posted by   + Show Post
My husband will hopefully have orders and be off to his duty station within the next 3-6 weeks.

I will not be able to go with him right away, because of the pregnancy. I will be staying with my mom and dad in the town we live in now until January. This is, essentially, a medical necessity.

Questions:

Will he be able to enroll us (Me, my DD and SS) in DEERS without us being physically there? What paperwork and ID will he need?

Will he most likely be housed in barracks or will he need to get a hotel room?

BAH will be according to wherever he is stationed, not where I am, correct? How long does it take to kick in?

If he is in barracks (geobatching, right?) will we still receive BAH?

Will we (SS, DS, and myself) need to undergo an EFMP screening prior to leaving our current location? (SS will not be living with us.)

What else have I missed? Could someone tell me more about a Page 2? What is that?

Also, if anyone could sort of walk me step by step through the process, I would really appreciate it--I may not have asked a question about something important! I don't know what I don't know. :)

I feel pretty stupid for asking all this, but I know you ladies have all been new at one point or another.

Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
MamiiCaliente
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
We are navy ;)

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

There is a "loophole" that the military can use (the Navy does it all the time) about the BAH. It's based on the service member's duty station -- unless the family can't go there (like unaccompanied orders) -- OR - unless they decide "for the best interest if the service" to provide it where the family is. (Basically, they realize you aren't there, like you went home for the deployment, and the BAH where you went is lower and they want to be cheap... I've seen this happen - not always, but it can.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sailorwifenmom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I just bumped a question about page 2's for you - easier than re-typing it :-)

I don't know about living in the barracks, since he will basically be Geo baching it, it's really going to be up to the command and their housing situation. He should be able to talk to his Sponsor at his new command and they should be able to help with that.

Good luck with the move and the pg!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by Cassie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM
We're prior service reenlistment...so things are a little different for us. No training or basic/boot camp or anything like that. Just right to his unit, hopefully.

Thanks for the offer...but we don't know where he is going or 100% what his job will be. (He requested infantry--IF it's different, he will have to go to training.)

Quoting USNHorton:

I filled out all the deers paper work and took it into the military center while my husband was at ATI school. He sent everything to me and I took all the necessary documents.

My husband says if y'all are married he will receive BAH for where you are located. If your not there with him he will have to stay in barracks if he is E4 and below. It all depends on where you are going and if there is any training involved. He also says you should have been receiving BAH since boot camp.

If you and the kids aren't with him due to health reasons, I believe

he will get family separation pay.

A page 2 is just a dependant sheet. Its who your wife is and how many kids you have. It requires updates every so often. He will need to update this after the baby is born.

He also says this internet stuff just takes to long. He can't really answer all your questions because he doesn't know what his job is and where you are going. He told me to send you our phone number and he could answer all your questions in 10 minutes, lol! You are more than welcome to message me or call if you have any more questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
salamandersmom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Oh... Heh, heh, heh.  (nervous giggle...)  I thought you were talking about actual four legged animals...  I don't know anything about a military program called that.  But I know a few things about the four legged critters.  LIke, about once a week I almost crash into a herd of them coming out of my lilac hedge on my way home after work.  And, they like to eat out of the bird feeders.  And, the three legged one - a girl - does AMAZINGLY WELL at getting around even though she's missing that leg.  I wonder how she lost that leg?  (missing from just above the knee down.)  Car accident?  Shot by a hunter?  I can't imagine she was born that way.

So, I'm going now, since I have nothing useful to add.... :o)

Apollos82
by Cassie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Thanks. I for sure won't be. I'm anticipating he'll need a hotel or other housing until we get onto base housing. That's what would happen if we were with him, anyway...

He is fairly hopeful he will be allowed to Geobach, but I am almost certain that won't be the case.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Don't be shocked if he isn't allowed to live in the barracks. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM

DEERS- your DH will need Birth certificates, SS cards, marriage license, custody agreement for the step child. ( more on that in a minute)  but you will need to go to a base to get ID cards because you will need your picture taken.

your child ( his step son) an only be added to DEERS and be added as a dependant IF you have sole or physical custody ( whether joint physical or primary physical). he can talk to JAG to get the most recent regs on this, but this is the basics of it:

BAH: as a GEO BACH the BAH will be for where he is located. he may or may not be able to live in the barracks, he will need to talk to his new command. IF he is allowed to live in the barracks it may not be for free and may be between 22- 35 dollars a day and he could lose his BAS.  ( this is command specific and again he will need to find out how the new command will do it)

page 2) is the form used by the military that has the dependant information -

Command sponsorship/EFMP is only if your going over seas- but if you have any medical issues that you need to be seen for ( not counting pregnancy ) you may have to enroll in EFMP after you report to the new duty station.

we are 2 yrs into a 4 year GEO Tour SO I had to learn alot about them :)

Coconutty4Hubby
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM
My DH's orders are to a base (obviously!) and the base has it's own zip code. So, you can live in a different zip code, like a city away, but you still get the BAH that is assigned to the zip code the base has. This is what DH's LES and BAH orders say.

Quoting MamiiCaliente:

I thought bah was according to the zip code in which dependent a live... That's how it's always been with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by Cassie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Thank you!

Just to clarify--we have one child together and he has an 8yo. He does not have a step child. We also do not have custody of his son, but are required to insure him. We should still be able to add him to DEERS, right?

Quoting gunsgirl:

DEERS- your DH will need Birth certificates, SS cards, marriage license, custody agreement for the step child. ( more on that in a minute)  but you will need to go to a base to get ID cards because you will need your picture taken.

your child ( his step son) an only be added to DEERS and be added as a dependant IF you have sole or physical custody ( whether joint physical or primary physical). he can talk to JAG to get the most recent regs on this, but this is the basics of it:

BAH: as a GEO BACH the BAH will be for where he is located. he may or may not be able to live in the barracks, he will need to talk to his new command. IF he is allowed to live in the barracks it may not be for free and may be between 22- 35 dollars a day and he could lose his BAS.  ( this is command specific and again he will need to find out how the new command will do it)

page 2) is the form used by the military that has the dependant information -

Command sponsorship/EFMP is only if your going over seas- but if you have any medical issues that you need to be seen for ( not counting pregnancy ) you may have to enroll in EFMP after you report to the new duty station.

we are 2 yrs into a 4 year GEO Tour SO I had to learn alot about them :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding, in your case he will need to take his divorce decree in to show that he is required to provide medical insurance and they will get him enrolled in Tricare.

ambermarie2006
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM
For geo-baching BAH is where he is. It depends on his command if he stays in barracks. My DH has been geo-baching for a year and was able to stay in the barracks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)