Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Did you know you could get PTSD because your husband deployed?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM
  • 37 Replies

At least according to this chick over in another group you can :)

Have fun with this one :)

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I have friends who have been diagnosed with ptsd after traumatic and abusive childhood experiences. I couldn't exclude the possibility of developing a form of ptsd if my combat-stressed spouse brought it home.

LuvMyBoy08
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Hmmm, well I guess some people handle it better than others. My DH is on his 3rd and although he has a form of PTSD, I have never.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbriCrazy
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Its not unheard of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Haven't heard of that before, but I guess it's possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM

no no, you misunderstand. Not that your DH came home with PTSD, but because he deployed you could have PTSD simply from him being gone.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

I have friends who have been diagnosed with ptsd after traumatic and abusive childhood experiences. I couldn't exclude the possibility of developing a form of ptsd if my combat-stressed spouse brought it home.

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM

i don't think that's impossible either. there are many events that can occur and some have a more fragile state of mental health than others. the constant worry and fear of what might happen to a deployed loved one could be enough to tip someone over the edge.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

no no, you misunderstand. Not that your DH came home with PTSD, but because he deployed you could have PTSD simply from him being gone.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I can agree that depression or anxiety could happen ( and does quite often) though I think that PTSD would be stretching it with out a traumatic experience to trigger it.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

i don't think that's impossible either. there are many events that can occur and some have a more fragile state of mental health than others. the constant worry and fear of what might happen to a deployed loved one could be enough to tip someone over the edge.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

AbriCrazy
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Honestly, its not unheard of. Individuals with severe mental issues feel a sense of abandonment when their spouse deploys.

Some tend to get off of their meds, which in turn causes them to hallucinate and/or cause bodily injury to themselves or others. These events are traumatic and when they realize what it is they have done, they spiral into a depression.

It really is sad.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
What is traumatic to one person may not be the same for another.... You never know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gatorswife1401
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Secondary PTSD isn't that uncommon to the spouses who become caregivers to their wounded warrior spouses. But I could understand a spouse possibly having PTSD while a spoused is deployed. Everyone handles things differently
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)