Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

VA says I have MST but that won't be classified as PTSD?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

MST is NOT PTSD.  Help.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Soniam301
by Sonia on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM
what's mst?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Quoting Soniam301:

what's mst?

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/military-sexual-trauma-general.asp
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by Cassie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I'm sorry--could you give more details, please?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM
5 moms liked this
I don't believe the moms of Cafemom are qualified to adjudicate your case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM
I think you need to ask your counselor how it was written up and if he/she thinks it's PTSD. This is such a specific case in not sure any of us can help much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:04 AM

MST isn't a diagnosis; but anxiety, depression, or PTSD could result from it, which would then be a diagnosis.  You need to talk more with your counselor and find out what your actual diagnosis is.

MsBlueBelle
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM

MST  is Military Sexual Trauma.  I was raped twice on active duty.

sailorwifenmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm very sorry to hear that. Nobody should ever have to go through that experience, let alone twice.

I would guess that as far as classification goes, it would sort of be like combat... it's horrible, and some people have ptsd from the experience and some people have a hard time and need counseling but it's not ptsd exactly...

I'm not a Dr or a therapist though, and not being either of those professions or privy to the details of your situation, I really can't say why they diagnosed you the way they did.

I really think going back to your counselor would be the best way to sort this out.

I hope things get better for you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsBlueBelle
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I remember both experiences like they happened yesterday when certain men, who mean well, just touch me.  I am no longer a touchy feely person, I don't allow a lot of people to hug me or touch me.  Women, too.   But, I served back in the day, 1979 to 1986, when I was medically retired.  After each one, I went to the clinic, I was given a Valium and patted on the head, well, that is just how men are. 

Really?

"We, at VA, must be visionary and agile enough to anticipate and adjust not only to the coming increase in women Veterans, but also to the accompanying complexity and longevity of treatment needs they will bring with them."

Secretary Shinseki, July 16, 2011

Secretary Shinseki, only female Veterans have old baggage?  Check the books again Secretary Shinseki!  Gee Whiz!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)