Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

National Guard school benefits?? Not happy with the outcome!!

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM
  • 83 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son is in the National Guard and at the time of signing up he was offered a lot of good stuff. He even received a symbolic check for $40,000 for school. Then when he decided to go to school, reality and true colors came out. He did not qualified for G.I. bill post 911 after he was told that he would. Now he only qualifies for for Montgomery G.I Bill. I don't consider this fair, the recruiters pushed so much for him to sign in and me to sign papers. This is the way he was paid, I'm not happy for turning over my son to the military and they pay him this way. Not fair at all!! Has any body else been thru this situation? Please let me know. Thank you!!

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope... The NG paid for my masters. I used their tuition wavier and my GI reserve select. We get briefed about our educational benefits by the recruiters and the retention officer who handles our educational benefits questions.
usmclife58
by Nikki on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM
4 moms liked this

I.... should just stay out of this post.

paknari
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I received over 50,000 dollars out of my GI bill and I wasn't post 911. They give you about $1100 a month while attending full time. What is he panning to go to school for?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nelopyma
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Pretty sure you're not getting the whole story from your son.

DH has about a year left of his master's degree... paid for by the GI Bill.  Mostly the post 9/11 version, since he switched to that version during his degree.

edelweiss23
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband is getting ready to start law school thanks to part of his post 911 gi bill. We have to take out a loan for the rest, but it will be paid back easily with careful planning.
It sounds like you might not be getting the full story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nelopyma
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM
8 moms liked this

And as a random comment, I'm always amused by these moms who come on here, so offended for their military kids.  They're adult enough to enlist, but not adult enough to handle their own issues?

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Stepping away...

Apollos82
by Cassie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM
*stepping back*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree with the other ladies who say that this is not the full story...dh got all of med school paid for plus a monthly stipend...

edelweiss23
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband thought of med school, but decided since he likes to argue(just not with me) he should go to law school instead.

Quoting adoptivemomof1:

I agree with the other ladies who say that this is not the full story...dh got all of med school paid for plus a monthly stipend...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)