Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

National Guard school benefits?? Not happy with the outcome!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is in the National Guard and at the time of signing up he was offered a lot of good stuff. He even received a symbolic check for $40,000 for school. Then when he decided to go to school, reality and true colors came out. He did not qualified for G.I. bill post 911 after he was told that he would. Now he only qualifies for for Montgomery G.I Bill. I don't consider this fair, the recruiters pushed so much for him to sign in and me to sign papers. This is the way he was paid, I'm not happy for turning over my son to the military and they pay him this way. Not fair at all!! Has any body else been thru this situation? Please let me know. Thank you!!

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Replies (61-70):
adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

This is so worth repeating...Before making a commitment one really should read the contract and not just trust that what is being verbally stated is all encompassing...in this case, if he was only 17, his parents should have read the contract and done some research and not made so many assumptions. Part of being a grown up is honouring one's commitments and not whinging about it when it was not exactly what you had hoped it would be....

PS I always love your responses sailorwifenmom!

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Plus, the op States he is IN the National Guard, not in a delayed entry program. So even if he was 17 when she signed the papers, he is now over 18.

They should have read their contract, and I think it's insulting to everyone who has served full time on Active Duty (yes, to include myself, my husband, and my son) or who has served in the reserves or guard and been called to active duty when someone basically says what this person has. Which is "Well, I/ my loved one goes and drills for one weekend a month, having the rest if the time to pursue whatever I want to, live where I choose, and go home to my families, basically working less than a part time job, but 1200 a month in education benefits isn't enough, I / my loved one DESERVES the same as those men and woman who serve every day, who transfer, deploy, etc - because don't you know, I'm entitled!"

I am mot bashing the guards or the reserves, they have a role to play, too, and many of them have been called up to serve on Active Duty status right next to their AD comrades in arms. But when that happens, then they get the benefits that go with it. And until that happens, don't let your greed and your desire to "scam the system" and get all sorts of perks from a bankrupt govt blind you to the fact that you should read what you're signing.

And it's not hard to type "national guard giving 40,000 signing bonus" onto google... Or "what GI bill benefits do national guard get" into yahoo....

But no, she saw "take the money and run"... and they got what they "paid for".

cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Obviously you didn't read all of the replies. I made it clear that I was joking. Reading comprehension 101, check it out.

:/ :D :) :(

Quoting mom2ljh:

Yeah, way wrong. Not sure why you'd assume anything about the CG. :-/

Quoting cocoroo:

I just saw Guard and an annoying post and put 2 and 2 together incorrectly, LOL.

Quoting gunsgirl:

LOL how did you read Coast instead of national?? you were just waiting -- waiting for the opportunity to get that in, weren't you!!??? :P

Quoting cocoroo:

Maybe he should have joined the military and not the CG. And, maybe you should let your son handle his own business.

Sorry to the CG ladies, but I couldn't resist.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

What is untrue about her statement? Actually the only thing that MAY be untrue is the word "deployed". Post 9/11 benefits are only available to those service members that have been on ACTIVE DUTY  for at least 90 or more after 9/11.

http://www.military.com/education/gi-bill/new-post-911-gi-bill-overview.html

Quoting gunsgirl:

this is untrue.

Quoting .SoldiersWife.:

Post 911 is for people who've already deployed. All he will get is Montgomery gi till then.

.SoldiersWife.
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM
For the guard it is. My husband and myself are both in. Unless you've deployed or signed multiple contracts you're not getting the post 911. Guard doesn't get same benefits as ref army.

Quoting gunsgirl:

this is untrue.

Quoting .SoldiersWife.:

Post 911 is for people who've already deployed. All he will get is Montgomery gi till then.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Miller11
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Youre mad because your son (who is an ADULT btw, and therefore can handle any problems he has BY HIMSELF) gets money for school? Even though its not what YOU think he should get? Yeah, get over yourself.  HE should have talked to his recruiter if he was confused and HE should have read his contract. Life is not fair but at least he gets something.

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
You know, you always say the things that I think but don't have the patience to type out, (or care).

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Plus, the op States he is IN the National Guard, not in a delayed entry program. So even if he was 17 when she signed the papers, he is now over 18.

They should have read their contract, and I think it's insulting to everyone who has served full time on Active Duty (yes, to include myself, my husband, and my son) or who has served in the reserves or guard and been called to active duty when someone basically says what this person has. Which is "Well, I/ my loved one goes and drills for one weekend a month, having the rest if the time to pursue whatever I want to, live where I choose, and go home to my families, basically working less than a part time job, but 1200 a month in education benefits isn't enough, I / my loved one DESERVES the same as those men and woman who serve every day, who transfer, deploy, etc - because don't you know, I'm entitled!"

I am mot bashing the guards or the reserves, they have a role to play, too, and many of them have been called up to serve on Active Duty status right next to their AD comrades in arms. But when that happens, then they get the benefits that go with it. And until that happens, don't let your greed and your desire to "scam the system" and get all sorts of perks from a bankrupt govt blind you to the fact that you should read what you're signing.

And it's not hard to type "national guard giving 40,000 signing bonus" onto google... Or "what GI bill benefits do national guard get" into yahoo....

But no, she saw "take the money and run"... and they got what they "paid for".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyMechsWife
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:05 AM
She didn't say Coast Guard, she said National Guard

Quoting cocoroo:

Maybe he should have joined the military and not the CG. And, maybe you should let your son handle his own business.

Sorry to the CG ladies, but I couldn't resist.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyMechsWife
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:16 AM
No it's not..it's for anyone who has actively served at least 90 days after September 11, 2001

Quoting .SoldiersWife.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:32 AM

You don't get the post 9/11 unless you've deployed I believe. Don't most people use that after their "regular gi bill is used up" ? No clue, I haven't used mine so.

Melbornj
by Melissa on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:35 AM
That is incorrect it has nothing to do with being deployed, the only requirement is 90 days of active service after Sep 11, 2001.

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

You don't get the post 9/11 unless you've deployed I believe. Don't most people use that after their "regular gi bill is used up" ? No clue, I haven't used mine so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN