Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

National Guard school benefits?? Not happy with the outcome!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is in the National Guard and at the time of signing up he was offered a lot of good stuff. He even received a symbolic check for $40,000 for school. Then when he decided to go to school, reality and true colors came out. He did not qualified for G.I. bill post 911 after he was told that he would. Now he only qualifies for for Montgomery G.I Bill. I don't consider this fair, the recruiters pushed so much for him to sign in and me to sign papers. This is the way he was paid, I'm not happy for turning over my son to the military and they pay him this way. Not fair at all!! Has any body else been thru this situation? Please let me know. Thank you!!

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Replies (71-80):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM

the GI bill is for anyone who serves 90 days AD service after 9/11/01. whether reserve or full time AD- of course a reservist will earn 2 AD days a month- so it will take a few months to accumulate the 90 days unless they get title 10 orders or deploy. BUT once they reach that 90 days they can begin using thier benefits.

you cannot use up your MGIB and use all the P911- if you use all 36 months of you MGIB you can get an additional 12 months of P911- not an additional 36 months.

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

You don't get the post 9/11 unless you've deployed I believe. Don't most people use that after their "regular gi bill is used up" ? No clue, I haven't used mine so.

pittawadda
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Also to qualify for all 100% of the P911 you need to serve 36 months I believe. I know this from myself and a few others who were just shy. I qualify for 80%. But my MGI bill is fine and actually is better than the other. I will however use the additional 12 months

Quoting gunsgirl:

the GI bill is for anyone who serves 90 days AD service after 9/11/01. whether reserve or full time AD- of course a reservist will earn 2 AD days a month- so it will take a few months to accumulate the 90 days unless they get title 10 orders or deploy. BUT once they reach that 90 days they can begin using thier benefits.

you cannot use up your MGIB and use all the P911- if you use all 36 months of you MGIB you can get an additional 12 months of P911- not an additional 36 months.

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

You don't get the post 9/11 unless you've deployed I believe. Don't most people use that after their "regular gi bill is used up" ? No clue, I haven't used mine so.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting gunsgirl:

We don't earn 2 days of AD a month as a traditional guardsman. Drills are title 32 and do not fall under AD time for the purpose of GI Bill qualifying time. The only title 32 time that counts towards GI Bill time is if it deemed in support of a national emergency.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM

yes this is true, the GI bill website has all this info if anyone wants to see the actual rules.

Quoting pittawadda:

Also to qualify for all 100% of the P911 you need to serve 36 months I believe. I know this from myself and a few others who were just shy. I qualify for 80%. But my MGI bill is fine and actually is better than the other. I will however use the additional 12 months

Quoting gunsgirl:

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

pittawadda
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM
That requires work to look it up hehe

Quoting gunsgirl:

yes this is true, the GI bill website has all this info if anyone wants to see the actual rules.

Quoting pittawadda:

Quoting gunsgirl:

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

LOL, that is why I have it bookmarked!!

Quoting pittawadda:

That requires work to look it up hehe

Quoting gunsgirl:

Quoting pittawadda:

Quoting gunsgirl:

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I cleared that up several days ago. I read it wrong and at the time I first read the post, there was a pop ad at the bottom of mobile for the CG Florida show on TWC. Get over it, bye bye.

Quoting ArmyMechsWife:

She didn't say Coast Guard, she said National Guard

Quoting cocoroo:

Maybe he should have joined the military and not the CG. And, maybe you should let your son handle his own business.

Sorry to the CG ladies, but I couldn't resist.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Don't you love it when Capt Obvious shows up? God damn, what would we do without her?

Quoting cocoroo:

I cleared that up several days ago. I read it wrong and at the time I first read the post, there was a pop ad at the bottom of mobile for the CG Florida show on TWC. Get over it, bye bye.

Quoting ArmyMechsWife:

Quoting cocoroo:

Maybe he should have joined the military and not the CG. And, maybe you should let your son handle his own business.

cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, we do need someone to laugh AT and not with sometimes.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Don't you love it when Capt Obvious shows up? God damn, what would we do without her?

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting ArmyMechsWife:

Quoting cocoroo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kkmack
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Pissed off? Yes. But like another poster said if you were an adult and joining it's your responsibility to read your contract and educate yourself. If you're 17, then LEGALLY it's the responsibility of whoever the guardian is who is signing for you. So she really has nobody to blame but herself if he joined at 17 and she signed for him.

Quoting gunsgirl:

if she had to sign he is only 17.

not yet an adult, and  honestly if your child was 17 and joining and was lied to you would be pissed off too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)