Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Duty station questions: please help

Posted by   + Show Post

How is it living on base? How often is it that a soldier will get a duty station off of his wish list? and do you get to go everywhere your spouse goes? I know you cant go if he's getting deployed, but will there ever be a time where he has to be at one base while im at another?

Im really confused on this please help!

Thank you

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Replies (11-16):
Doc.Mc.Lissa
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Living on post really varies from post to post, or even the neighborhood that you live in. We lived in 2 different villages at Fort Hood. The first wasn't bad. The second, we loved our house but the housing nazi's made it miserable. When DH re-enlisted, Fort Carson was #1 on his list and that's what he got. But like the others have said, it soley depends on if there is need for your husbands MOS at that duty station or not. And yes, its very possible that he'll tdy and be at another post in the states while you stay behind.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM
OK, if he is a truck driver, he could go anywhere. He should look at some of the bigger transpo companies like Benning, Carson, Alaska, Bragg, Campbell.

Quoting ArmyWifey2012:

Yep :) so what type type of MOS is that?

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Isn't an 88 mike a truck driver?

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

What is it? Artillery?

Quoting ArmyWifey2012:

He's going to be an 88 mike so what type of MOS would that be ?

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

As far as the wish list goes, you should only consider installations that are likely to have units with slots for his MOS. For example, there wouldn't be much point for someone in combat arms to request an intelligence post.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyMechsWife
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:51 AM
What do you mean what type of MOS is it?? He's going to be a truck driver, and they are needed everywhere...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:50 AM

as long as it is an accompanied tour, you can go with him. my husband has gotten his #1 choice for 3 moves so far, all of which I have gone with him.. living on base just depends on the base, one base it was idea for us to live on base, the other, we are making more money by living out in town:) 

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM

What do you mean "what do you mean"? She said she didn't know, so she asked a question.

Quoting ArmyMechsWife:

What do you mean what type of MOS is it?? He's going to be a truck driver, and they are needed everywhere...lol

angieo39
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Love your reply....I lived on base a little longer maybe 1.5 years but was just because of his units wifes support..I prefer our own home.
I also agree lots of wives love living on base....made me feel I was in military.

Quoting cocoroo:

I have been able to go with my dh to every duty station except when he did a one year unaccompanied in Korea back in '02-03.  When he went to Korea, I moved back to where we lived before he joined the Army.  We have never gotten anything off of my husband's wish list, but it happens sometimes.  It is all "needs of the Army" or whatever branch.  I can't tell you how it is living on post because in the last 12 years, I have lived on post a total of 3-4 months back in '01.  I hated it with a passion and will hopefully never have to do it again.  I do know people who love living on post, I'm not one of them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)