Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Should the VA pay for In Vitro?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
  • 27 Replies
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/10/10/2723714/families-ask-va-to-pay-for-in.html

I'm mobile, so I cannot make the link clicky, I apologize.

I was just curious about your thoughts on this topic...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I think yes, but it should be a case by case basis.  Is needing this procedure due to something that directly happened to the vet while active?  Yes. 

If not, no.

Apollos82
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
My thoughts as well. If the injury leading to fertility problems was "on the job" it should be paid for, as any other "on the job" injury should be.

Quoting jas_momof2:

I think yes, but it should be a case by case basis.  Is needing this procedure due to something that directly happened to the vet while active?  Yes. 

If not, no.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZanderandBella
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I agree.

Quoting jas_momof2:

If not, no.

Heather- Air Force Wife, Mom of two, WAHM with It Works! Global (Double Diamond!!!)

Those that assume working from home with a home business will be easy will be learning that it's not the case at all. Working from home will take self-motivation, often working at times you'd least expect, and will have ups and downs just like any other business out there. Those that will be successful are the ones willing to treat their business as a business and ride the rollercoaster. It's a fun ride and worth every moment.

adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I agree....infertility effects a lot of people and if it is the result of active duty then yes, it should be covered but if it is not then it should not be...

Quoting Apollos82:

My thoughts as well. If the injury leading to fertility problems was "on the job" it should be paid for, as any other "on the job" injury should be.

Quoting jas_momof2:

If not, no.

violinjewel
by Julia on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quoting jas_momof2:

If not, no.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sailorwifenmom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM
I agree that it should be if it's from a military related injury. I was going to say no otherwise, but then it occurred to me, don't they reimburse so much for adoption expenses? (I honestly don't know, I thought I heard they did, but I'm fuzzy on the details.)

If they pay for adoption expenses, then I can see some justification to at least offsetting the fertility expenses...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM
You know....I'm not sure of the adoption expenses. I will have to look in to that.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

I agree that it should be if it's from a military related injury. I was going to say no otherwise, but then it occurred to me, don't they reimburse so much for adoption expenses? (I honestly don't know, I thought I heard they did, but I'm fuzzy on the details.)

If they pay for adoption expenses, then I can see some justification to at least offsetting the fertility expenses...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Quoting jas_momof2:

If not, no.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

IF it is for the injured person, then yes. if say, I am the one that has fertility issues and my husband was injured / getting the boot out of the military*and he had no fertility issues that they know of*. NO. absolutely not. we would have to pay out of pocket or go to one of the like 2/3 hospitals that do IUI/IVF. so no. now if the injury is say, a penile amputation, and they get that injury in the line of duty then yeah it would be nice.  but I do not think the military should have to cover IVF/IUI.. and this is coming from someone who was paying their co-pay for fertility drugs *shrugs shoulders* we wanted kids bad enough we already money set aside in case the fertility treatments that tricare DID cover didn't work... 

kkmack
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I believe they should at least for all combat vets. History has proven it is very difficult to impossible to determine the long-term effects of some of the chemicals or other things we have been exposed to, or even of the vaccinations and meds we receive. Many are BELIEVED to have the ability to cause infertility, but it cannot be known for sure without long-term study, by which point many of us would be out of our child-bearing years. So yes, they should pay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)