Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Should the VA pay for In Vitro?

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/10/10/2723714/families-ask-va-to-pay-for-in.html

I'm mobile, so I cannot make the link clicky, I apologize.

I was just curious about your thoughts on this topic...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:58 AM

If a female SM's fertility was affected due to something on the job, yes, I guess invitro should be covered.

Otherwise no. You (in general) don't NEED to get pregnant and have kids. I consider invitro in the same realm as cosmetic surgery. Nice to have, but not needed in most cases. If you want it in most cases, pay for it yourself.

I agree with insurance covering a boob job if you had to have a mastectomy for instance. If you just happen to have an A cup and the sad from it, pay for your fake fun bags yourself.

Apollos82
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM
What are your thoughts about male infertility in the context of this topic?

Quoting mom2jessnky:

If a female SM's fertility was affected due to something on the job, yes, I guess invitro should be covered.

Otherwise no. You (in general) don't NEED to get pregnant and have kids. I consider invitro in the same realm as cosmetic surgery. Nice to have, but not needed in most cases. If you want it in most cases, pay for it yourself.

I agree with insurance covering a boob job if you had to have a mastectomy for instance. If you just happen to have an A cup and the sad from it, pay for your fake fun bags yourself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oddy_Knocky
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Like most everyone who's answered I say yes, but only if the issues occurred because of something work related.
I'm the spouse who went round and round with fertility issues and the only thing covered for us was testing. We had to pay for medications and procedures ourselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM
I'm sorry you struggle(d) with infertility. I have had my struggles as well.

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

Like most everyone who's answered I say yes, but only if the issues occurred because of something work related.

I'm the spouse who went round and round with fertility issues and the only thing covered for us was testing. We had to pay for medications and procedures ourselves.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oddy_Knocky
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM
We've been bitch slapped in the face a lot over the years. About 3 years in and $15,000 later I ended up pregnant but it was a month after I stopped Clomid/HCG and IUI's. Go figure! Then we tried for 3 more years and nothing. I'm 36 now..too old so I'm just waiting for the feeling to go away.
Funny how life works sometimes.
Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Life can be such a bitch some times. Especially when things like this happen. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

My first husband was sterile and would do nothing about it for years. That caused some pretty serious heart ache and even self-esteem issues in my life. When I married my current husband, we started trying right away, but I developed ovarian cysts of an unknown cause. It wasn't until I took matters in to my own hands with eastern medicine and herbs that I finally got pregnant, after several large cysts ruptured. (Ouch!)

Infertility is what it is, and there is often to rhyme or reason for it--but I hate it. It not fair whatsoever.

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

We've been bitch slapped in the face a lot over the years. About 3 years in and $15,000 later I ended up pregnant but it was a month after I stopped Clomid/HCG and IUI's. Go figure! Then we tried for 3 more years and nothing. I'm 36 now..too old so I'm just waiting for the feeling to go away.
Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Men don't get pregnant, so they don't need invitro.

If the guy has ED because of something caused on duty, they (VA) can cover sperm retrieval, you don't need inVitro after that though, you can use Artificial Insemination. If his wife has fertility issues too, that's their problem to cover the InVitro. If they're going to be covering that, it needs to be only what applies to the Service Member specifically. So really I guess my opinion is that if anything they should only cover 1/2 the cost. Just paying for what they broke really. That's more than fair IMO.

It's like LASIK, they'll cover that for a service member, but if their dependent spouse wants it done, they have to pay for it.

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Apollos82
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't completely agree with this, but I also can appreciate the line of thought.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Men don't get pregnant, so they don't need invitro.

If the guy has ED because of something caused on duty, they (VA) can cover sperm retrieval, you don't need inVitro after that though, you can use Artificial Insemination. If his wife has fertility issues too, that's their problem to cover the InVitro. If they're going to be covering that, it needs to be only what applies to the Service Member specifically. So really I guess my opinion is that if anything they should only cover 1/2 the cost. Just paying for what they broke really. That's more than fair IMO.

It's like LASIK, they'll cover that for a service member, but if their dependent spouse wants it done, they have to pay for it.

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oddy_Knocky
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I've heard they're very painful but luckily I've never gone through it. I will say that the test that hurt the most was the hysterosalpingogram. Worst. Feeling. Ever. How many kids do you have? I've got two and was diagnosed with secondary unexplained infertility between 1 and 2 and again after 2 trying for 3. 

Quoting Apollos82:

Life can be such a bitch some times. Especially when things like this happen. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

My first husband was sterile and would do nothing about it for years. That caused some pretty serious heart ache and even self-esteem issues in my life. When I married my current husband, we started trying right away, but I developed ovarian cysts of an unknown cause. It wasn't until I took matters in to my own hands with eastern medicine and herbs that I finally got pregnant, after several large cysts ruptured. (Ouch!)

Infertility is what it is, and there is often to rhyme or reason for it--but I hate it. It not fair whatsoever.

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting Oddy_Knocky:

Photobucket

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Interesting. My DH has it in writing that his infertility is service-related. We would actually need the ICSI procedure, though. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN