Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Are problems like this a regular occurance for your family?

Posted by   + Show Post
My husband has been trying to do a prior service reenlistment for some time now, as some of you know.

He finally got scheduled for MEPS (where he only needed a doctor's physical) on the 4th. Or so we thought.

His recruiter accidentally put in the wrong date, so he had to wait a week and go on the 11th.

The night before he left (MEPS is in a bigger city an hour from us, they have to sleep at a hotel and be "babysat" by a recruiter) the recruiter called and said the "floor was full" and since my husband is prior service, not fresh meat, he got the boot.

Then she called us first thing yesterday morning and said he actually IS going.

So, he has been at the hotel (being driven crazy by all the kids and what not, I'm sure) since last night.

This morning, I got a call from him saying that the recruiter forgot to put in his IRR release form from the USMC and so they cannot legally process him because he still technically belong to the Marines.

The MEPS office is only open for a limited time each morning to process everyone through before they start seeing doctors and such. Then the office closes. Our recruiter was prepared to fax over the release form, but the office would not stay open just five more minutes to receive the fax in order for my husband to go to his physical. (this part, I understand. They are a business, not a charity. I am still frustrated by it, but I "get it" as well.)

So now, after missing two days of work when he asked for it off for the 4th and two days of work for this trip, there will also be an additional day of missed work for Saturday when he has to go back!

It's one giant clusterfuck!

I realize mistakes like this happen, especially in the military, but is it common for it to be one right after the other after the other for the same family?

If it is--I just want to know so I can mentally prepare. I'm not scared of it...it's just not something I have encountered before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Replies (11-18):
gogetem
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Sounds about right! Lol
Apollos82
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Other way around, actually. He served with the USMC for four years, NG reserve for 2, and is now trying to get in AD Army.

Quoting Mommy2b2324:

He is going back marines? My husband is prior service army and has been trying to go back active...is marines taking prior service army?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2b2324
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Oh ok. well best of luck! Hurry up and wait!

Quoting Apollos82:

Other way around, actually. He served with the USMC for four years, NG reserve for 2, and is now trying to get in AD Army.

Quoting Mommy2b2324:

He is going back marines? My husband is prior service army and has been trying to go back active...is marines taking prior service army?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Pretty much!

He's back at MEPS tonight, to get his physical and then (Dear God, please!) just finding a spot for him and swearing in, then orders and away he goes.

Quoting Mommy2b2324:

Oh ok. well best of luck! Hurry up and wait!

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting Mommy2b2324:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommak92
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:40 AM
Navy is taking people to do sea duty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angieo39
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM
I respect you Apollo but we go through same crap at times. Its so hard in us..we get little time with DH to start with and I will get him on a plane for Va. to head to overseas X and find him stuck in NC for 3 days.
Its no better now in security contractor status since ultimate authority is the same. He was due to go to X in 23 days but after Libya they were sending him to Y in 7 days. Now changed again till 23 days and off to X as before.....its hard. He told me he just may re-enlist to go back to Navy. I don't know but I never do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM
I'm not sure what respect has to do with this, but thanks.

I hope I didn't sound like I'm whining...which I realize now, I probably do.

I only asked and described the situation out of a need to know if military life is ALWAYS this "yes, no, maybe so" about things, if it came in seasons and spells, or if people are just jerking us around and it might settle down.

I can see from the majority of responses that it's a mix between it coming and going and it always being this way. I can deal with it, now, knowing it's actually quite typical.

I have obviously been warned military life is like this, and have experienced it in small doses myself, but I was naively shocked at how complete of a clusterfuck this whole situation has been.

I'm sorry your family has been jerked around so much. I hope (probably in vane!) that is settles down soon.

Quoting angieo39:

I respect you Apollo but we go through same crap at times. Its so hard in us..we get little time with DH to start with and I will get him on a plane for Va. to head to overseas X and find him stuck in NC for 3 days.
Its no better now in security contractor status since ultimate authority is the same. He was due to go to X in 23 days but after Libya they were sending him to Y in 7 days. Now changed again till 23 days and off to X as before.....its hard. He told me he just may re-enlist to go back to Navy. I don't know but I never do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angieo39
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Its worse than it used to be but I assume its military in transition. There's massive budget cuts on the board on who and what isnt really known yet. Thats what DH told me yesterday. If candidate x wins: DH will go back to prior service. If candidate y wins: DH will return and start an excavation business....so we don't know anything but its a fuckup at present for many
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN