Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Ok one big question.... about living on post....

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM
  • 10 Replies

Does my DH have to be a certain rank for me and our children to live on post with him? (We have 1 DD, & 1 on the way)

I've heard various different things.... someone told me if you're not an E5 you have no chance of living on post (he's going in as an E4)

I've tried googling it but I get some conflicting things and figured you ladies might know pretty well. I am really hoping for our family to live on post after DH is done with basic and AIT. Plus I've heard that if you live off base it's a lot harder to make it financially and I'm not planning on going back to work until a year or 2 after this baby is born.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelissaMaye
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I know E-2's that live on post with their families. My husband is an E-4 and we live on post.

BabyFruit Ticker

cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM
You can live on post at any rank. The wait time will vary by installation, number of bedrooms you qualify for and rank. We have only lived on post once for a few months when my dh was an E2. The rest of the time we lived off post. We have always been fine financially.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
And, I have been a sahm for 10 of the 12 years he has been in the Army.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NorCalMom09
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I am very much looking forward to being a stay at home mom especially since I didn't get to do it with our first baby. When I read some people saying they couldn't afford to live off base I got discouraged.... so that's good to hear!

Quoting cocoroo:

cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:08 AM
I won't lie, we were broke for awhile, but we managed. When my dh joined the Army, I was pregnant with my third (our second child together). When my dh was done with AIT and an E2, we had 3 children and lived off post. It wasn't the nicest place, but it worked.

Quoting NorCalMom09:

I am very much looking forward to being a stay at home mom especially since I didn't get to do it with our first baby. When I read some people saying they couldn't afford to live off base I got discouraged.... so that's good to hear!

Quoting cocoroo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Soldier_Wife07
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

You can live on post at any rank.  My husband is an E4 and we have lived on post at both places so far.  We have known a few E2s who live on post with just their wives, no kids.  Whoever said your husband has to be a certain rank doesn't know what they're talking about.  

At our first post, we lived off post for a year before moving on.  I have been a SAHM the whole time.  It was a little harder financially while living off post, but mainly because we were renting a house that consumed all of our BAH so we were paying almost $400 a month in utilites completely out of pocket.  If you live off post and rent a house that is under your BAH, you should be fine.

NorCalMom09
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:46 AM

thats very helpful thank you!

Quoting Soldier_Wife07:

You can live on post at any rank.  My husband is an E4 and we have lived on post at both places so far.  We have known a few E2s who live on post with just their wives, no kids.  Whoever said your husband has to be a certain rank doesn't know what they're talking about.  

At our first post, we lived off post for a year before moving on.  I have been a SAHM the whole time.  It was a little harder financially while living off post, but mainly because we were renting a house that consumed all of our BAH so we were paying almost $400 a month in utilites completely out of pocket.  If you live off post and rent a house that is under your BAH, you should be fine.

Soldier_Wife07
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

No problem.  It was a huge mistake on our part, we didn't take into consideration that we'd have to pay utilities on top of rent.  So if you do end up living off post, it's a good idea to find a place that your BAH will cover the rent and at least half the utilites.

Quoting NorCalMom09:

thats very helpful thank you!

Quoting Soldier_Wife07:

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Rank has nothing to do with living on post.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:45 AM

depends on the base? maybe if they dont have room they give priority to rank?? the only "rank"  measuring I have seen on base is for nicer houses, officers and higher enlisted tend to get the nicer/bigger houses at some bases:) But that is totally understandable:D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)