Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Not on orders!!'

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM
  • 11 Replies
Have any of you military wife's ever moved with ur SO even though u was not on his order.. We are doing the command sponsership, but our screenings may not be cleared before his report date to Alaska and we are still thinking of just going so I don't have to travel with our kids alone..
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sailorwifenmom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM
I wouldn't, especially for your first duty station. It can make for a money and paperwork mess, especially if they decide for some reason that they need something else (some medical test or something) to complete your screening.

I'm not sure about with the other branches, maybe one of the Army folks can answer this part, but for our branch, at least, your command sponsorship won't be approved until your screening is complete.

I'm sorry :-( Hopefully, your paperwork all comes back "good to go" soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DizneyMomma2001
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I don't believe command sponsorship can be completed either without physicals, EFMP screenings and the like.  He can go ahead of you and then get the sponsorship and then you go through all that to move though.

Mommy3478
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Quoting DizneyMomma2001:

I don't believe command sponsorship can be completed either without physicals, EFMP screenings and the like.  He can go ahead of you and then get the sponsorship and then you go through all that to move though.

. We have done all our screenings n physicals already n my husband has to go Have a meeting Monday with the EFMP but hd leaves the 23 to come home n catch our ferry the 9th
Mommy3478
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Quoting sailorwifenmom:

I wouldn't, especially for your first duty station. It can make for a money and paperwork mess, especially if they decide for some reason that they need something else (some medical test or something) to complete your screening.

I'm not sure about with the other branches, maybe one of the Army folks can answer this part, but for our branch, at least, your command sponsorship won't be approved until your screening is complete.

I'm sorry :-( Hopefully, your paperwork all comes back "good to go" soon!

. We have done our physicals and screening they just gave to be signed off.. Guess I just don't know how long that takes.. We have the money for travel n are gonna have a house set up before we get there. So would that make a difference
sailorwifenmom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Honestly, it can still be a paperwork mess. Once he gets there, he has to do a travel claim, and will have to turn in reciepts and stuff (or at least have them if they ask to see them) but he will definately have to do a claim.

If you go up without being cleared to go, then he won't be able to claim the money to move you. Then, later, when you're "official", it will be VERY difficult to do a claim for you all later, because the reciepts will already have been used / the travel for you done before you were allowed.

And when I say a good amount of money, I mean ferry tickets, plus he gets $85 a day for himself, if you are authorized to go and with him, you get 75% of that (if you have to go separately you will get 100% of that) plus, depending on your children's ages, you get 50 - 75% of that per child. Plus you get something like 34 cents (not sure about that number though) per mile for gas for your pov.

So, if, say, they determine it will take 3 days to get there, and you have 2 kids under 12, you are risking throwing away about $450 bucks - more than that really, because there's also the money you will spend out of pocket paying for all the things that money would be covering - money that you may or may not get back.

When you go without sponsorship, as far as the military goes, you're on your own.

I don't know how this works with the duty station you're going to, but I know that when you go "overseas" overseas, if you don't have command sponsorship, they don't have to let you use the base facilities, medical, etc...

Now, that can be a lot different in AK since even though you're doing the screening it's still part of the US - maybe someone who has lived on mainland AK can answer that better.

I know the thought of traveling by yourself with the kids is scary, but it's not impossible - I bet you're stronger than you know! :-) Plus, there's still time for your screening to come back! :-)

(Oh - one other thought - is the house base housing? Because if you aren't sponsored you won't be able to get that, and, if you aren't sponsored you won't get COLA with dependents or BAH for there with dependents - making another paperwork mess and costing you a good chunk of money - until you get sponsorship.)

Honestly, it could easily make a huge paperwork and pay mess, not something I would want to try to sort out, especially being new to it all and still learning the whole thing...

I'm sorry, I know you were probably hoping for a different answer, but this is my honest opinion and reasoning :-(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I wouldn't.  Unless you want to pay for everything and NOT get reimbursed... 

Mommy3478
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Quoting jas_momof2:

Thus is wear we are confused because we was told we would be.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

You would be if you go when they say you can go.  If you go on your own, you're paying and they have the option to NOT reimburse you... 

Quoting Mommy3478:

Quoting jas_momof2:

Thus is wear we are confused because we was told we would be.

cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:22 PM
I would wait until the military says you can go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sailorwifenmom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Something else I remembered - if you try to go before they say you can, that can really mess up getting them to move your stuff, or getting them to cover it if you do it yourself. There's a big difference in household goods weight allowances between not authorized to take family (even if it's a "yet" sort of thing) and authorized to take them.

That could create a whole other can of worms for you....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)