Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Question about "ranking up" ?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM
  • 28 Replies

Excuse my terminology still rusty on what to call everything lol, doing the best I can.

My DH is going into the Army as an E4 (68w)

I'm wondering I guess (on average, I know everyone's isn't the same but maybe just a general idea) how long it takes to go up in rank? Assuming my husband busts his ass (which he will! lol)

Going in as an E4 instead of an E1 will he rank up quicker or will be at the same rate? or slower because he starts out higher.

I know all these questions have likely been asked before, so thank you for any help. :)

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Apollos82
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM
I don't know, but some of these ladies will... So, bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM

He will progress the same as the rest of his peers. And the timing is not something that any of us can even make a guess.

NorCalMom09
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM

If it's the same as the rest of his peers that has to be some kind of general time frame? A year? Two? Longer? An average maybe

Quoting usmclife58:

He will progress the same as the rest of his peers. And the timing is not something that any of us can even make a guess.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM

No idea how the army works... 

Jociebebe11
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

it depends on alot of different aspects...the military isnt like school that everyone graduates at the same time if he is really dedicated into his career he will need to put some serious work...usually he will need certain points to be considered promotable to get to that point he will need to complete certain tasks and recieve certain awards to meet the requirements sometimes time in as a certain rank is also a requirement...my husband ranks i would say a bit over average because he takes it seriously unlike some people that just take their time (no offense to anyone) another way to make sure you get ranked higher after you have all the credentials is to have have your superiors updated on your progress dont assume they just will see whats going on and take him to the board my husband has had some issues back when he was an e4 that his SGT didnt really care and took forever to take him to the board...so those are my pointers it helped my husband so im sure it can help yours Goodluck!

Mrs.Greco
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Quoting NorCalMom09:

If it's the same as the rest of his peers that has to be some kind of general time frame? A year? Two? Longer? An average maybe

Quoting usmclife58:

A soldier gains points that allow them to become eligible for promotion. The amount of points needed for a promotion from E4 to E5 vary depending on MOS. No time frame can be applied to this as it is different with everyone. It took my husband about a year, but a friend's husband has been an E4 for 9 years...

xoxo Meli
Dawn12345
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM
He will need at least 18 months time in service before he can even go to the board to be promotable. Then he has to make points according to his job (mos). So to go to the board he has to prove himself to be a leader and also have an awesome pt score its all in how his chain sees him also. Getting your stripes is not something that is handed to you but something you earn.
cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM
He will need to meet time in service, time in grade and get the correct number of promotion points for his MOS. Points vary from MOS to MOS. My dh's MOS has very high points, other MOS are much lower so they promote faster. I'm not sure about 68W points.

My dh went in as an E1, he made E4 around 2 1/2 years in the Army, he made E5 after about 5 years (one of the few times his points dropped) and E6 after about 10 years. He will get his first look for E7 this coming year with 12 years in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Some MOS's promote quickly and some don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I mean he gets no special "bumps" to get promoted. He will have to do as everyone else does. And that means meeting the minimum requirements for the rank, there being a slot available, his scores... There are too many variables.

Quoting NorCalMom09:

Quoting usmclife58:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)