Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

help regarding the marines

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

well my bf and I are engaged and he wants to join the marines, however his recruiter told him that he cant join because he is graduatng from a charter school why is that? It is his dream to join the Marines but idk how he can not join just because of graduating from a charter school. Is there a specific graduation requirement?or something i feel like I need to help him or give him an answer to make everything better but idk what to say , I need an answer or advice :/ we are both still young and still dont know ALOT about the marines or army

if you could give me your own personal experiences that would be great or been in a situation like this it would help

by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Hi and welcome! Is your BF graduating from an online school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennyCaps
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM
I know the charter schools from my home state didn't give typical hs diplomas. Maybe that is the problem?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sailorwifenmom
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

If the school gives a GED instead of a diploma, then that could be a problem. I would ask if it's possible to talk to the recruiter's supervisor and explain what sort of school he's going to, and seeing if there is a waiver process. It's my understanding (though one of the Marine spouses here probably have better info on this) that what the Marines are trying to avoid is people dropping out of school, getting a GED, then trying to enlist.  If this isn't the case with your boyfriend, then he might need to explain that to them and go from there.

If that doesn't work, and he still wants to enlist but is flexible on the branch of service, he might want to talk to the other branches as well, because they all have different enlistment requirements as far as this goes.  (Not bashing any of the branches, just that they are all different, and all have slightly different things they look for and will / won't allow...)

Good luck!

Apollos82
by Cassie on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Welcome!

The USMC only accepts standard HS diplomas at this point in time. It has been this way for a while, now. The Marines don't like to take those who drop out of high school then get their GEDs, and even though that is not what your SO has done, they make a blanket rule that is seldom lifted.

It is worth pursuing with the recruiters command, though, as sailorwifenmom mentioned. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:23 AM
When my husband like 4 years ago was doing Recruiting Assistance for the marines they weren't taking GEDs... Unless they had a certain amount of college credits along with their GED. Really don't know what the rules on enlistment are now.
NataliaLinny
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM
2 moms liked this

thank you!we are graduating from a school that gives a high school diploma and a AA degree

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM

as long as the charte sool is affiliated with a school district it will give a reg HS diploma, the recruiter either does not know what a charter school is ( which is completely different than a VO-TECH school) or he does not want to take the time to recruit your DB.

if you can get get a letter from the School board stating that when he graduates he will be given a reg honest to goodness HS diploma it should move the ball forward for your DB.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
If you google this topic, there are some good results that explain things. I would post some links but I'm on mobile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

By Charter school, are you meaning Online Charter school? They won't accept this diploma, as a full diploma, even though it is one. There is alot of information out there about this if you look it up & the military's stance on this. What the Army deal was ( at the time ), if you get 12 college credits, and usually they have a class that will count as 1 credit, the Army did at least, it will then be allowed. Or if you take all AP classes Junior & Senior year, it will be then accepted. But otherwise, it will not be accepted as a Diploma. Now sometimes, if it is totally affliated with a school district, and the diploma matches, like says the school district on it, they sometimes will. But I have heard of road blocks.

My Son was in Cyber Charter School for one year, as a transition after a move. It was a full public school, took school taxes, the whole nine yards. But was NOT accepted as a "real" diploma alone. We went to talk to the recruiter ( really early as this was his goal for years and my husband knew the recruiter ), we got all the information. I also did the online research on it & why the military won't accept it. It wasn't a big deal for my son, because it was a year, and not where he was graduating from.

NataliaLinny
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

it is NOT a ONLINE Charter School we both go to a campus

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)