Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Damage claim resolution company??!!

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi all, my name is Kris! We just PCSed to MCBH! In all my 13 yrs of military moves we have never had to file a damage claim before!  This time though the damage was massive :(  So today we have a company coming to "inspect" our damamge....Are they going to try to screw me on purpose?  ANyone have any experience with the inspections?? Any ingoing crazyfo would be helpful! THANKS!!

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM

it is important to make sure you have all the items damaged out and available for them to inspect.

they will not make an offer when they come out to insect, they will decide what can be fixed and what will need to be replaced.

if you have reciepts for anything that was damaged make a copy of the reciept. if you do not look for the items on line and rint out the replacement cost for the exact same item, if you cannot find the item or it is and antique it will be a little harder for you to "prove" value.

remember that you do not have to accept the first offer but remember there are value caps to most items- like a Plasma TV no matter what you paid for it you can only get up to 1500 dollars ( even if you paid 3 grand).

GL!

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I had everything laid out so they could inspect. I also googled everything that I had along with a price that was  broken. Some higher end pieces that were broke I had three different prices (we had an antique piano that was broken) I did it for two reason's One so I was not low balled, and two so I knew I was asking for a fair price and wasn't expecting more than I should, making it fair for both parties. 

socialworker227
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM

When they come in, they will ask to see the damaged property and take a couple of pictures of the damages if necessary. After speaking to a supervisor or assessing the level of damage, you will be informed if you will receive reimbursement.  You definitely do not get the full amount! Most of our household goods were damaged during our last PCS so I know how frustrating it can be. Best of luck to you and your family!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Good luck mama!  These ladies have some great advice...I don't have any experience but wanted to wish you good luck!

fourlittlebees
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

We just did it and the company was really good.  They came out, took pictures of everything.  Then later on we got an email with our "offer" for damages of what it would cost to repair/replace.  Most of the stuff we got full replacement value and on the couch we got repair cost.  We took the first offer because we felt it was fair and it was more than what we were expecting.   It was suprisingly easy! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)