Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

My son is going to Korea...

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:31 AM
  • 12 Replies

He leaves in January for Seoul. First deployment. He is excited, because that is one place he'd hoped to be stationed. I'm excited for him, but he'll be so far away for so long. Anyone have any advise regarding Korea, first deployment, culture, etc. Thanks in advance. 

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CM_Junkie
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I have heard many are on their way to Korea. I am so happy that he got a station he was hoping for! I hope he enjoys his time!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Well, it's not a deployment. He'll have fun, but don't get caught up in the partying and drinking. Spend the time there bettering himself. Go to school or something, get out and enjoy what Korea has to offer. Link up with some KATUSAs and let them show him around, too. I loved it and will be trying to go back. Hope he likes it, too. I'm sure he will. It's only 1 year, unless he decides to AIP.
missamanda86
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I dont, but the Big Army is sending a LOT of people to Korea. Like half of my husbands unit, including him are or have gone since September! Oh wait I do have some advice....tell him NOT to go to the establishments off post. They have 'juicy girls' who are basically prostitutes without the sex. A friend of Dh's said that they will ask you to buy them drinks and their drinks are $30-$40 drinks...he's heard of soldiers selling their TA-50 to pay for these girls!

LelaGoArmy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Will do...thanks for the warning. 

LelaGoArmy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Sorry, I'm new at this. I didn't mean deployment. Also, what is a KATUSA? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Quoting LelaGoArmy:

Sorry, I'm new at this. I didn't mean deployment. Also, what is a KATUSA? 

No worries. It means Korean Augmentation To the United States Army, which is basically a Korean soldier who is serving his mandatory time with the US Army instead of the RoK Army (Repubic of Korea). All men who are citizens of Korea must do 2 years of mandatory service in the military. They work with the US Army and do everything that the US does. Train with, go to the field with, go to schools (WLC) with. All of our KATUSAs were either college students or already had their degrees.

I wanted to say something else but I can't remember what. When I do, I'll be back.

LelaGoArmy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Thanks! Good to know! He probably knows from his peers who they are. When he comes home for Christmas iI'll certainly talk with him. He's a good soldier, but the temptations are many. He needs to stay focused on bettering himself, like you said. Thanks for any further advice as well. 

singlemama0905
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

No major complains from those I've known over there.  One of my best friends is currently there with her hubby and their son.  And I have a friend who's got 2 weeks left before he's finally home after doing his year there.  I know he's enjoyed the experience, but is beyond ready to be home.  My friend's hubby actually asked for extended time (more money), so they've already been there over a year and have like a year and a half to go.

armywifey1019
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM

whats his name if you dont mind me asking. My hubby just graduated from ait and his battle buddy is going to korea .....his name was chris.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LelaGoArmy:

Thanks! Good to know! He probably knows from his peers who they are. When he comes home for Christmas iI'll certainly talk with him. He's a good soldier, but the temptations are many. He needs to stay focused on bettering himself, like you said. Thanks for any further advice as well. 

No probem! It is so easy to get caught up over there. Also, tell him to worry about himself! Have fun but don't go over there looking for a wife! And don't come back with any kids. Just do something to better himself and his career.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN