Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Son wants to join Army

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi,

My son is 17 years old and is playing on joining the army when he graduates in 2 years. He is already involved in future soldier training and we have talked to recruiters. My biggest probelm is having someone to talk to as he won't tell his dad aobut his plans. I would love to tlak to another mom who is going through or is through this experience. My emotions are all over the place and without being to talk to any family, it makes it harder. I do talk to friends but most think he will change his mind.

Hope to hear form some one soon.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lucky2Beeme
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

My sons did this after 1 year of college. While it was heart breaking for me I was also so proud.  My emotions were all over the map. I just couldn't understand Why ? I felt like I failed him in some way. We are from an area where not many young men and women join. The ones that do are usually the kids that were in trouble. Why wont he tell dad ? please feel free to message me . I hope I can help you through this.

sailorwifenmom
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi.

I chose to enlist instead of college, and so did my husband. Now, years later, we have one child who is also in the military and another who is at college.

I understand that your emotions are all over the place, but please keep in mind, the military really is not a bad life. It has a lot of education and travel opportunities, and it's not "just for those that can't do anything else" (in fact you would he surprised - it was harder for our son to enlist than our daugter yo get into college, including the Ivy league level one she got accepted into - not the one she's attending, btw - we don't have that kind of money...)

The thing is, try to set aside the misconceptions the movies like to portray, and what you might think you know about it from people who were in during the 70's and such. Go with him to talk to the recruiter, look it up online, and see what today's military is about.

You might be surprised at what you learn, and while it will still be hard to see him go, it won't be AS hard :-)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sailorwifenmom
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
One other thing to keep in mind, the military really is a sample of all types of America. You have those who grew up poor, rich, and middle class. Broken homes, 2 family homes, conservative, liberal, all sorts of religions, gay, straight, different races, marrying people from different cuktures... It's a melting pot where everyone is judged on their merit, and you work together to serve your country. That's not a bad thing :-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM

My ex husband was active duty army.. he got out right after the 2008 election.  Honestly, I am a huge supporter of military but would not want my kids enlisted while BHO is in office.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Why not? I won't bash, cause I'm kinda feeling the same way.

Quoting Anonymous:

My ex husband was active duty army.. he got out right after the 2008 election.  Honestly, I am a huge supporter of military but would not want my kids enlisted while BHO is in office.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I think you should cross that bridge when you come to it. Get through one step at a time.

Sweet_mouse
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I've know for a very long time (since Jake was 6 and brax was 9) that my boys would probably be joining. its the only thing either ever said they wanted to do. I think the best thing you can do to prepare is learn everything you can about Army boot camp...regulations...ect..... i was very lucky to stumble upon a facebook group for people with loved ones at Lackland AFB and i think without the info and support i got from there i would have been completely lost and alone! i'm here if you need to talk and it seems like this group of ladies is as well

crosstitcher
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I am having trouble finding the right website for my questions. Can someone recommend a website.would like to get in touch with gladtobeme privately but don't know how. Please use my email address
LelaGoArmy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM

My son is 21. He was in college and could not find a niche. He was always very intelligent, creative, and compassionate. He researched the military for two years before letting us know he was considering it. It was hard at first, but we tried to be very supportive. Ive always been a huge supporter of our military. My husband wanted him to pick a different branch, but he felt very strongly that the Army was where he belonged. I cried every day, multiple times a day while he was in Basic...out of fear.  i just did not think he was made for it. i was afraid he wouldn't make it, but HE EXCELLED! He said he finally felt like he was where he was meant to be. "Mom, it's in my blood now. Its the best thing that ever happened to me." We are very fortunate that he was able to pick just about any MOS he wanted. He graduates from a 6 month AIT(advanced individual training) in 3 wks. We couldn't be more proud of him! He could not be more proud of himself! I still cry. Not as often, and not because I'm afraid. I cry because I feel pride that just wells up inside me, and I can't keep it in. He has become a better person than he already was. He just found out he will be leaving for Korea in January. We will FaceTime, and write, and send packages. It will be okay. He followed the right path for him, and for his dreams. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)