Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice, fiancé wants to join the navy

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi my names Taylor I'm 17 and have a 3 week old son. My fiancé wants to join the navy to be in the military police. I don't know if I want him to I know the benefits would be great for us and its the best thing to do but I'm scared ill never see him and he will miss out on raising our son. I struggle with depression and I feel like I won't be able to handle being away from him. What do you guys think? I'd like to hear back from some military wives to hear there stories. My fiancé really wants to do it I don't want to stop him from what he wants to do. So help please
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Replies (21-28):
AbriCrazy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Too many deployments in the Navy?

That's the first time I've heard that. Lol

Quoting ambermarie2006:

My husband just got out of the Navy, there were too many deployments for us. In 4 years he was deployed 3/4 of the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
It was because every time he switched ships, the new ship was deploying.

Quoting AbriCrazy:

Too many deployments in the Navy?

That's the first time I've heard that. Lol

Quoting ambermarie2006:

My husband just got out of the Navy, there were too many deployments for us. In 4 years he was deployed 3/4 of the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM
I think no matter what he does you have chosen to go down a very difficult road in life. Good luck. You are going to need it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear1021
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM

he decided to join the army reserves i dont know if thats any bettter though

TippyD
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I have been an army brat and will take Navy deployments over army deployments ANY day! I love army wives and dont get how they do it. Navy they are gone more often, but not for as long as army deployments:/

Quoting MamaBear1021:

he decided to join the army reserves i dont know if thats any bettter though

GeriK
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM

He will be gone a lot at first.  He will have 8 weeks of bootcamp and depending on his A school he will be gone longer.  You can see him after bootcamp at graduation but then you will be apart until after A school. 

I am a Veteran and my future husband is a 12+ year Submariner.  We met in Iraq and we have been toghether ever since.  We did the dual military life with our daughter for awhile and we decided it was better if only one of us deployed.

You have to realize that this a great life but a hard life.  Your husband is going to take an oath to support and defend the Constitution.  He is going to be called away and you may not always be able to talk to him.  He will miss holidays, birthdays, and vacations but as long as you communicate with him daily, things will be good.  Communication is extremely important during deployments.  Email is wonderful and you are able to send him daily messages (except in bootcamp), telling him about your day and what you accomplished and how much you miss him.  You need to give him the peace of mind that you and the family are good and taken care of.  In most ways you have to be the stronger one.  You have to give him the security that you and the family are solid so when he is away he can focus, conduct his mission and come home. 

As stated in another post, there are a ton of support groups and ways to meet other moms.  Living in military housing is a great place to start.  You have to make sure that you're strong enough to handle this life.  You need to make sure that you can raise your son, maintain your home, and take care of yourself when he is called out. 

How long will he be gone?  Who knows.  It is the needs of the Navy that will dictate his deployment schedule.  Even on shore duty he may work long hours because everyone is understaffed.

cocoroo
by Coco on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM
You need to stop relying so much on you BF.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this
But he has such a solid plan for his future!

Quoting cocoroo:

You need to stop relying so much on you BF.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)