Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Standard v prime?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM
  • 22 Replies
If you switch to standard how hard is it to get back on to prime? We are PCSing and I am considering switching to standard but before I do that I want to make sure I can switch back easily when we pcs again.

Also, is there a copay for the ER on standard and if so what is it?

Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Idk, but those are good questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM
I believe there is a limit on how many times you can switch back and forth in a year... Im not sure. I'm sure someone here knows.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Once you switch to Standard, you can't switch back to Prime for a period of one year.
www.tricareonline.com
pittawadda
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Honest question here...why do people switch? I'd rather pay nothing. But we've been lucky and had great docs and got referrals when needed.
JMmama
by Kara on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM
The only reason I would switch is because of where we are PCSing and IF I am pregnant. You have to switch to standard for the birthing center. It is sort of cart before the horse, ATM.

I have considered switching for better pediatric care before but we ended up moving.

Quoting pittawadda:

Honest question here...why do people switch? I'd rather pay nothing. But we've been lucky and had great docs and got referrals when needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:54 AM

NO idea mama!  Good luck though:)

TippyD
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM

we either have to switch our daughter to standard or we have to pay out of pocket to get a physician that will care for her like we need. *shrugs shoulders* it is worth the money to get the care that we want for her and not just what the military is willing to pay for. 

Quoting pittawadda:

TippyD
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM

as to switching IF you switch, you are commiting to a year on standard:) casualty cap is 1000 a year .. you might pay less but will never pay more:) 

SierraLynn
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM
I switched to standard when I was about 8 weeks pregnant. I switched back to prime three das after my daughter was born. Maybe it just depends on the circumstances.

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Once you switch to Standard, you can't switch back to Prime for a period of one year.

www.tricareonline.com

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM
I switched because ever ob I met at Martian Army hospital at Fort benning had their heads up their asses and were completely rude and showed no intrest in making it a nice experience, just treating me like a number.
On standard I found an ob who I got along with, who listened to me and my concerns and wishes. And I only paid $34.09 for the whole thing, prenatal care through delivery. Not so bad if you ask me.

Quoting pittawadda:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN