Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Can someone please explain to me

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:14 PM
  • 21 Replies

how a TMO move works (packing, what they ship, do they ship more than one car, etc)?

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I cannot answer your question directly, but we always had two shipments when we PCS-ed.  The first was called household goods, everything we would need to start up house keeping.  The second was called hold baggage and it did not get our new base for up to two months.  Household goods was always at the base when we arrived.  I also packed a special suitcases (when we used to be able to bring as many and as heavy as we wanted) that had all our uniforms and anything I knew we would need when we hit the tarmac. 

Good luck on your move.  One tip, take pictures of all your things so if it gets lost or damaged, you have proof of what it looked like prior the PCS move. 

FIREFOX1336
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM
They pack anything that isn't liquid or high value, so you have to take your jewelry. As far as I know they will only ship a car if you are going overseas, and its only one car. Every time we have moved it was always one shipment and took about 2 weeks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

one car

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:08 AM
Not dure about hawaii. We just moved to germany. 2 shipments unaccompained baggage is here now, less than 3 weeks to get here. Household goods is all furniture will be here jan, shiped on halloween. We were allowed 1 car and we had to take to the shipping place.
sailorwifenmom
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Depends on where you're going. Your orders should say on them exactly what they will and won't ship. For example, sometimes they will ship one car. Sometimes you're required to drive them, but can take up to two cars that way. Sometimes they won't authorize you to take a car, but they will pay to store them.

It really depends on where you're going, which will determine what you're allowed.

Mrs.Miller11
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Depends on where you're going. Your orders should say on them exactly what they will and won't ship. For example, sometimes they will ship one car. Sometimes you're required to drive them, but can take up to two cars that way. Sometimes they won't authorize you to take a car, but they will pay to store them.

It really depends on where you're going, which will determine what you're allowed.

Hawaii
sailorwifenmom
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM
We haven't pcsed to HI so I'm not sure (several ladies on here have and can give a better answer though), but I believe you can take 1 car.

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Hawaii

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM

one vehicle plus HHG are shipped. a good thing about HHG is if you own a motorcycle that can be shipped as a HHG. Its what we did when we moved to and from HI. You just have to remove the fuel from the gas tank. It is counted towards your HHG, so if you have a lot of things to ship you may not be able to add that on. We didn't have a lot to move, so it was easily taken. and the company that ships your posessions, boxes up the bike and ships it as well with those goods. good luck. its really not all that bad. just no fun waiting for your stuff. But the temporary loan furniture office will give you everything you need to survive for 4-8 weeks while waiting for you items. When we moved into our home, we already had them deliver our temporary furniture and our washer/dryer. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Whatever you do, HIDE ANYTHING you DO NOT want packed!!!! My DH was in the Army YEARS ago!! I had put our airline tickets on the front of the fridge with a fridge magnet, NEVER thinking the movers would pack them!!!! That is EXACTLY what they did!!! SOOOO---as soon as I realized they had packed the tickets, the WHOLE packing process came to a screeching HALT!! They started opening the boxes marked "Kitchen." I told them to open this one particular box!! I have a 6th sense about A LOT of things, and this was one of them! Of course, being stubborn MEN, they ignored me, and opened probably 5-6 'other' boxes FIRST! When they FINALLY opened the box I told them to, SURE ENOUGH!! There were our tickets right on top!!!!!! Also, ANYTHING that is REALLY IMPORTANT that you DO NOT want to lose, send it to family or pack it to take it on the airplane with you!! Our movers lost a couple of boxes of REALLY NICE clothes!! Some of the items had only been worn a few times!!!! GRRRRRR!!! I was PISSED OFF!! If I'd been thinking, I would have packed the clothes in a box and put them in our van that we drove to our final destination, since this was our LAST move after DH got OUT of the Army!! Oh well. GOOD LUCK TO YOU GUYS!!!

Mama_Gleich
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:12 AM

They only shipped one car for us, And the movers come to your house inventory everything and put them in boxes that are labeled with little number. Make sure and tell them what is fragile! Or TMO movers even asked what was fragile and put huge red stickers on it to let everyone else know that it was fragile. :)

where ya being stationed? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)