Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do anything with your husbands unit, in terms of volunteering and the like?

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:40 AM
Replies (21-30):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope - I volunteer at my kids schools... 

sailorwifenmom
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM
I've volunteered a lot with the Navy in various ways, from being an Ombudsman to various roles in support groups and frgs (and converting one into the other when the Baby's regs on them changed) to being a COMPASS mentor and other mentor positions.

While there have been some people I've not liked, overall, I've enjoyed it. Most of the time, the way I've looked at it is either they were good programs and I was supporting that, or they were bad ones (by this, I mean they were being turned into little cliques or more of a gossip center than any real support, not that the concept of the program was bad) and I wanted to "pay it forward" and try to help make it better for the spouses and families, the way I've had some help me.

I'm not really involved here yet, but we've only been here since July and have a lot going on in our personal lives, so I haven't had as much chance to get involved in things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrspeterrabbit
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM

No I dont get involved with it.

Oddy_Knocky
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. 

I stay as far away as possible. 

Photobucket

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:59 AM

when i first got married and moved to K. Bay, I had some issues come up while my husband was deployed to Iraq. I met our command KV (key volunteer) who was able to help me and get things fixed. If it wasn't for her I don't know what I would of done. My family was thousands of miles away in FL, and couldn't help me. 

After my husband finished his 4 in the corps, he went navy. I became an ombudsman, with the soul purpose of helping the young, new military wives. I did it at his last command and I do it at his current command. I write monthly newsletters, created command websites, and run the command ombudsman email address. its not to be confused with the FRG. The navy FRG does social events and plans activities for families. I work directly for the Chain of Command, and am here for families as a link between them and the command. I really do enjoy what I do. Its great helping families during deployment and homeport. And volunteers are a vital  part in helping to keep morale high. 

LuvMyBoy08
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Nope
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
proud_tx_mommy
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Yes, but I prefer to do so behind the scenes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I used to do it all the time. I mean ALL the time. I loved it, too. 

Now, with this Command, I refuse to be a part of anything. That is, the few times they ever do anything. I hate his entire squadron with the exception of a very small number of friends.

ac10
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I made them cookies once...

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)