Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

this is harder than i expected(going back to civillian life)

Posted by   + Show Post
So dh got out of the army a month a go. He was on terminal leave for 90 days prior.
Whe had decided to stay in the ft.lewis area instead of moving to our hometown(also in wa). I had gone to school and gotten a job in our hometown while he was deployed. The jobs in the ft.lewis area are way better paying and were hiring so we agreed to give ourselves the 90 day to get jobs. Well nothing happened. Both of us applied anywhere and everywhere and got nothing. We finally decided to cut our losses and move home.
I got a job here(hometown) a week before moving back, its a full time well paying and has benifits.
That's about where our luck ended though.
The moving company over charged us by $200 and is refusing to pay it back.
Unemployment is being difficult and we have gone 2wks without that.
Dh was driving last night and accidently ran over a piece of metal in the road. Both our fron and back tire are flat, the mettal is lodged in the rear and its torn to crap. We live in a smaller town , the only place we could remember that was open was walmart. Got it there and they have no tires and won't for a week. On top of that we can not leave it there or it will be towed. So our next option is to put the spare on the back and limp it to costco(we forgot they were open on sundays) which is across the street. Pay for an expensive tire and labor. All so I can get to work at 8am.
Which brings me to the next thing. My company only has 1 payday but the option of a draw on the 20th. The day I started everyone was filling out their time cards to be paid on the 5th. So I missed that. I will not get paid until the 20th at the earliest if I take the draw(which I will) or wait until january 5th!

We have been using our savings for everything and its just about gone. I thought we had prepaired well enough for this but its like one thing after another and its wearing on us.
Dh is starting college soon to be a teacher. I just don't want him to feel like he has to try and get back in because we are struggeling, I know its only temporary but its still hard.
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Why didn't your husband re-enlist? 

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:34 AM

He either didn't want to or they wouldn't let him! Doesn't really matter!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you the OP?

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

No I am not. But does it really matter why he didn't? We all know it is becoming more difficult to reenlist. Maybe his commander didn't want to sign off on it, maybe he had enough of someones BS that goes on that he didn't want to. Either way it doesn't matter in the fact!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you the OP?

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Sorry. :-( 

You know what, now that I think about it in 15 years I don't think I've ever known anyone who separated from the military, (separated, not retired), and ended up better off for it, at least not for a few years down the road. In fact, nearly everyone seems to have a similar struggle to the OP's. I guess the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side. 

When I separated after 4 years my husband and I had just married and had no kids. I went straight to school and collected my GI Bill money immediately and was absolutely certain I had every step of that process in place before I got out so that I didn't run into troubles or hardships. Good luck OP.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Now you see this is what the OP could answer instead of you and it's the reason I asked. 

Quoting barrelracer1699:

No I am not. But does it really matter why he didn't? We all know it is becoming more difficult to reenlist. Maybe his commander didn't want to sign off on it, maybe he had enough of someones BS that goes on that he didn't want to. Either way it doesn't matter in the fact!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you the OP?

Diatech12
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
He chose not to re enlist because he had had enough after re enlisting during his first deployment.
While the military has been a blessing for us in many ways(he went in at 19 and is a better person for it) he is just done. He feels he has other purposes here in his home town.

We knew it wouldn't be easy, nothing ever is. But we didn't. Expexct other outside things to pile on us at the same time lol.

Thank you for all your support though. I'm feeling better about things today and keeping myself busy with work. Yesterday was just rough!
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Where are you guys at in Washington? (You don't have to post the exact town, but maybe the general area). I live here too, maybe if you are near by I could help keep an eye out for a job for your hubs?

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM

And technically it is none of your business! Yes she posted it but it really isn't the fact of the matter as to why.

Quoting Anonymous:

Now you see this is what the OP could answer instead of you and it's the reason I asked. 

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you the OP?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:14 AM

I'm sorry mama!  Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)