Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

New mom and new navy wife. HELP!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hello ladies. My name is Cintia and my soon to be husband is in bootcamp right now. I found out after he left that i am pregnant and cant wait to give him the amazing news when i go for his graduation. Im very new to adjusting to him not being around or us speaking at all and it is definitely very hard. If maybe you ladies with experience can help in answering some of my question as a new navy mom to be jaja. 

1- When he comes home after a-school how long will he be able to stay at home before he is shipped to where he will be stationed? 

2- Will they deploy him immedietly?

3- we are getting married after he comes back rom A-school, when will his navy status change, does it take long to process the change in maritual status?

4-what are the benefits of us getting married?

if you dont have all the answers ONE will help. Im really enjoying this website and it has helped me understand a lot so i also look forward to meeting a lot more navy wives and mommy's. 

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
besosfantasies
by Cori on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the Navy life. My husband is part of the Seabees, a branch of the Navy.

1. After his A school he went straight to ECS school. That was about a month or two. Luckily he was stationed right at that base so I'm not help with this question.

2. My cousin's husband deployed immediately after schooling. My husband was assigned to a group that was currently deployed, about to come home. So he stayed until next deployment.

3. As far as I know it changed immediately after he changed his sheet and it was filed.

4. Benefit being that you love each other and will be together for a long time. If you're talking military wise, living on base, medical, shopping at the NEX&COM, BAH(unless you live on base).

ebbierowe
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a air force wife so not much help on navy stuff but congrats:-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Hey:) welcome to the Navy life:) I can't tell you what will happen with your sailor, just what our experience was:)

Quoting Bernat228:

Hello ladies. My name is Cintia and my soon to be husband is in bootcamp right now. I found out after he left that i am pregnant and cant wait to give him the amazing news when i go for his graduation. Im very new to adjusting to him not being around or us speaking at all and it is definitely very hard. If maybe you ladies with experience can help in answering some of my question as a new navy mom to be jaja. 

1- When he comes home after a-school how long will he be able to stay at home before he is shipped to where he will be stationed? mine had NO time between boot camp to a-school. he had MAYBE 2 weeks between a-school and his first duty station? that we had to get married and have our honeymoon in*oh yeah AFTER we had to move our wedding up over a month due to his schedule* it will just just depend on needs of the navy and where they need him.

2- Will they deploy him immedietly? mine was suppose to leave within a month of us getting married, 2 weeks of him getting to his duty station!this time, he reported to his boat and was gone within 2 weeks. this will just depend on where he goes and when he gets there..

3- we are getting married after he comes back rom A-school, when will his navy status change, does it take long to process the change in maritual status?took a matter of hours for hubby to get the paperwork turned in:) he had to take our wedding certificate in to get me on his page two. 

4-what are the benefits of us getting married? honestly, this doesn't matter. all the benefits in the world are not worth the deployments. you are either in this for the long haul, benefits or not, or you're not. the benefits shouldn't matter. single and married both deploy equally. married or not births are missed, holidays are missed etc. just to clarify, not meaning it in a bitchy way, just the benefits really dont matter if you want to get married AND stay together forever, than do. if separations will be hard, get out now while you still can.

if you dont have all the answers ONE will help. Im really enjoying this website and it has helped me understand a lot so i also look forward to meeting a lot more navy wives and mommy's. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  I can only share what our experience was...good luck!

Quoting Bernat228:

1- When he comes home after a-school how long will he be able to stay at home before he is shipped to where he will be stationed?  All depends on what his job is...do you know what his job will be?  His rate?  My husband is an ANAV (assistant navigator) in the submarine force.  After boot camp, he want to school and then to his first submarine...depending on what the boat schedule was determined when he was deployed.  Make sense?  All these things are up in the air until  your husband gets orders to his first duty station.  First duty stations are always sea duty in the Navy...ships or subs...unless you do a different job I suppose.

2- Will they deploy him immedietly? Depends on the duty station and their schedule

3- we are getting married after he comes back rom A-school, when will his navy status change, does it take long to process the change in maritual status? As soon as you have a marriage license, take it to DEERS and they will had add you to his Page 2, which will change his status in the Navy.  It doesn't take very long once you have a marriage license.

4-what are the benefits of us getting married? His BAH with be a higher amount...BAH (housing allowance) is either "single" or "with dependents", so it will change to "with dependents" once you are married.  You will be on Tricare as well.  Great insurance!

Bernat228
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies for all the wonderful wishes. I am definitely excited about being pregnant and surprising him with the news. I definitely appreciate all of your insight and sharing your personal experinces because it definitely clarifies a lot for me. Ive been with Joel for FIVE years. ever since i was 16 and Im not going anywhere. This is definitely tough but nothing love can conquer. We are building a family together and ofcourse i need to find out ALL of my benefits and disadvantages to have a plan. I really do appreciate the #no filter, thats the way i like to speak to others so i appreciate when it is done with me, well respected @TIPPYD. 

Once again i really do appreciate you ladies for taking out of your valuable time and giving me some insight to your experinces. Thank you very much! :-)

edelweiss23
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Welcome to the group and congratulations on the baby!!
My husband is in the Army, so I am not sure how the Navy works!!!
Bernat228
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Quoting edelweiss23:

Welcome to the group and congratulations on the baby!!
My husband is in the Army, so I am not sure how the Navy works!!!

Thanks. Its okay jaja. Im excited about the baby :-)

navewife
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
This.....its not an easy life at all but if you love each other uou will make it work. Good luck

Quoting besosfantasies:

Welcome to the Navy life. My husband is part of the Seabees, a branch of the Navy.

1. After his A school he went straight to ECS school. That was about a month or two. Luckily he was stationed right at that base so I'm not help with this question.

2. My cousin's husband deployed immediately after schooling. My husband was assigned to a group that was currently deployed, about to come home. So he stayed until next deployment.

3. As far as I know it changed immediately after he changed his sheet and it was filed.

4. Benefit being that you love each other and will be together for a long time. If you're talking military wise, living on base, medical, shopping at the NEX&COM, BAH(unless you live on base).

TippyD
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I think I love ya;)  glad you could take it like it was meant!   Wishing you guys the best of luck! 

Quoting Bernat228:

Thanks ladies for all the wonderful wishes. I am definitely excited about being pregnant and surprising him with the news. I definitely appreciate all of your insight and sharing your personal experinces because it definitely clarifies a lot for me. Ive been with Joel for FIVE years. ever since i was 16 and Im not going anywhere. This is definitely tough but nothing love can conquer. We are building a family together and ofcourse i need to find out ALL of my benefits and disadvantages to have a plan. I really do appreciate the #no filter, thats the way i like to speak to others so i appreciate when it is done with me, well respected @TIPPYD. 

Once again i really do appreciate you ladies for taking out of your valuable time and giving me some insight to your experinces. Thank you very much! :-)

navewife
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Just remember the navy doesnt care about you or your kids...when the kids are sickYOU will be the one taking off to be with them. Deployments are hard. Your husband will miss Births of children, Birthdays, holidays, ect...be ready for that. When we got married they gave my H only 4 DAYS so my honeymoon was actually 2 days in a hotel in gettysburg PA. Cuz thats all we had time for. You will make many sacrifices but if you love each other you will make it work. Dont just go through the motions. Communication is important...not just talking but listening. You will also have lots of cool experiences too..take advantage of them. Enjoy seeing different places and meeting different people. Military wife life is what you make it. Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)