Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Dog food question

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM
  • 32 Replies
Do you feed your dog by what the bag says? For example, our dog food bag says to feed our dog 1 1/3 cups DAILY. To me that seems like so little! We have a husky, so I feed her 1 cup during the day and 1 cup at night.

Or do you use an automatic feeder?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I have an automatic feeder and don't worry about how much the dog eats.  As long as he is looking healthy, and not getting really fat, I don't worry.  I think the instructions on the bag are really just a guideline and if your dog is active and burns more calories, so maybe she just needs more.  I couldn't have a hungry animal, haha, so mine gets treats, too. 

Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM
We do what you do with our husky. Just be sure to feed him/her good quality food too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetone44_2004
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM
What brand do you use?

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

We do what you do with our husky. Just be sure to feed him/her good quality food too.

sweetone44_2004
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM
My dh wants an automatic feeder but I have never really liked the idea. Maybe for food but not for water I clean her water dish so much I feel bad when its dirty lol.
Our dog isn't fully potty trained yet, I'm afraid if we get her an auto feeder, she'll just eat then poop somewhere whenever. Since we feed her twice a day, I know when to take her out

Quoting anchorgurl:

I have an automatic feeder and don't worry about how much the dog eats.  As long as he is looking healthy, and not getting really fat, I don't worry.  I think the instructions on the bag are really just a guideline and if your dog is active and burns more calories, so maybe she just needs more.  I couldn't have a hungry animal, haha, so mine gets treats, too. 

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I keep food in a bowl that's always available for our fur baby. She eats about 3 -4 cups each day. She's not over weight and a very active dog. We feed Daph Blue Buffalo.

OliviasMommy611
by Brittney on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM
I keep food and water in a bowl. Both are always full. He doesn't eat much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Taste of the wild and as treats I cook up whatever meat for him.

Quoting sweetone44_2004:

What brand do you use?

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbriCrazy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM
You want a good quality food for a husky.
We feed ours blue buffalo, she's on the evolution diet.

We feed her twice a day, one cup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

lol.. um our dog gets 4-6 cups at a time, sometimes he will need a second helping by afternoon, other times we end up having to put yummy toppings on it since he will go 36 hours without eating it all:)  we are "bad" and leave the food for him to have access to all day.. and our mutt is still underweight! *yeah joys of getting an abused pet after he is 2!*

mlogsdon
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
We have an English mastiff, and she gets two scoops in the morning, and two at night. Unless she hasn't finished from the morning, then we just top off her bowl. She's a healthy weight for her size.

We used to feed taste of the wild in Louisiana, there was a tractor supply in the area, but I don't know where to find that around here. She gets pedigree large breed now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN