Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families
Do you feed your dog by what the bag says? For example, our dog food bag says to feed our dog 1 1/3 cups DAILY. To me that seems like so little! We have a husky, so I feed her 1 cup during the day and 1 cup at night.

Or do you use an automatic feeder?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
betsyfaith
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM
This is how we feed our horse (great Dane/mastiff), lol...only we're an iams family.

Quoting mlogsdon:

We have an English mastiff, and she gets two scoops in the morning, and two at night. Unless she hasn't finished from the morning, then we just top off her bowl. She's a healthy weight for her size.

We used to feed taste of the wild in Louisiana, there was a tractor supply in the area, but I don't know where to find that around here. She gets pedigree large breed now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carakitty
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Our dog is a big yellow lab. He gets one cup of dry with a gravy on top (two big spoonfuls of wet food mixed with water) twice a day. I don't remember what the bag says but he's doing well so we are sticking with what we're doing. we use the Innova Evo red meat kibble and Newman's Own beef canned food.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

I just set out a bowl for my dog. He is a grazer and will come back and eat a little at a time. Our old hound got probly a big coffee can a day and he scarfed it all right away, but he was never hungry and wasn't underweight. I never go off of that. I never think it seems like enough. Then again all my dogs have just been grazers.

daiseymae2
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Our German Shepherd puppy gets about 4 cups of large breed blue buffalo puppy food. She's 64 pounds. We split it into 3 meals a day.

wish_hope
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM

The food usually goes by weight of the dog and I do think that seems way too little. The bag of dog food I have for my jack (15/20 pounds) says to feed him 1 1/3 a cup a day and for a 45 pound dog 3 cups a day.  The german shepherds get 5 cups a day except one which has  health issues and he is on around 9 cups a day till he puts on some weight right now. I can not do an automatic feeder because the one with health issues has to eat food with powder on it and he can not have any of the other dogs food or he will get really sick.

Dani_Lynn
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Our three year old white shepherd and 4 month old black lab both get 4 cups a day.  The lab because he's a puppy and the shepherd because she has EPI and to maintain her weight.  We use Taste of the Wild.

Dani_Lynn
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Check Tractor Supply Company (TSC), PetValu, or PetCo.  That is where we have always found it.  Also check the smaller mom & pop pet stores.  They may order it for you.  Where do you live?

Quoting mlogsdon:

We have an English mastiff, and she gets two scoops in the morning, and two at night. Unless she hasn't finished from the morning, then we just top off her bowl. She's a healthy weight for her size.

We used to feed taste of the wild in Louisiana, there was a tractor supply in the area, but I don't know where to find that around here. She gets pedigree large breed now.

mom2ljh
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM
No I feed my dogs less. The lazy little shits get fat if I feed them the recommended amount, lol. They're such blobs. The little dogs get a cup a day and the big dog gets 3. (They're 7, 15 and 70lbs). The 7lb one is the youngest and also the most active which is why he and the middle one get the same amount.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Does your shepherd have EPI??  Ours does and we have to do the same thing with the enzymes.  Quoting wish_hope:

The food usually goes by weight of the dog and I do think that seems way too little. The bag of dog food I have for my jack (15/20 pounds) says to feed him 1 1/3 a cup a day and for a 45 pound dog 3 cups a day.  The german shepherds get 5 cups a day except one which has  health issues and he is on around 9 cups a day till he puts on some weight right now. I can not do an automatic feeder because the one with health issues has to eat food with powder on it and he can not have any of the other dogs food or he will get really sick.

mlogsdon
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM
I haven't seen it at the bigger pet stores, and I've looked online but shipping was INSANE!

I'm at JBLM. I haven't looked at any smaller stores, I didn't know they may special order. Thanks :) that stuff is expensive, but her coat was shinier and she didn't stink us out with her nasty farts ;-)

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Check Tractor Supply Company (TSC), PetValu, or PetCo.  That is where we have always found it.  Also check the smaller mom & pop pet stores.  They may order it for you.  Where do you live?

Quoting mlogsdon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)