Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families
Do you feed your dog by what the bag says? For example, our dog food bag says to feed our dog 1 1/3 cups DAILY. To me that seems like so little! We have a husky, so I feed her 1 cup during the day and 1 cup at night.

Or do you use an automatic feeder?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
wish_hope
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Yes. We found out he had EPI when he was 2 and he is now 6 1/5. Everything was going really well with him till my husband deployed. He is my husband's dog and he just laid around and didnt want to eat much. He lost a ton of weight and it made his b12 get out of whack.  He is now on b12 shots and has gained 3 pounds in a week. Hopefully he will get back to where he was.

The top two pics are before his illness showed up and the bottom two are right after we finally found out what we wrong with him. (we were in germany and it took a few months to find a vet that didnt just want to give him something for an upset stomach)

This was taken about a year after he started treatment and I hope that with these b12 shots he will get back to looking like this again

This is a recent pic of him.  How is your doggie doing?

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Does your shepherd have EPI??  Ours does and we have to do the same thing with the enzymes.  Quoting wish_hope:

The food usually goes by weight of the dog and I do think that seems way too little. The bag of dog food I have for my jack (15/20 pounds) says to feed him 1 1/3 a cup a day and for a 45 pound dog 3 cups a day.  The german shepherds get 5 cups a day except one which has  health issues and he is on around 9 cups a day till he puts on some weight right now. I can not do an automatic feeder because the one with health issues has to eat food with powder on it and he can not have any of the other dogs food or he will get really sick.

Dani_Lynn
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM

We found out Kaisa had EPI when she was just 7 months old.  Actually they were on to it when she was just 5 months old, but we PCS'd and the vet in Florida refused to redo the cTLI test.  She got so sick.  She wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink and was only 28lbs.  I had to take her to the emergency vet hospital because I didn't think she was going to make it through the weekend.  She was there Saturday night and they let us bring her home Sunday night after she had been getting Hetastarch IV to replenish her protein levels.  I had to take her to our new vet, who was AMAZING, on Monday where she got more IV hetastarch and the EPI group hooked me up with an emergency supply of enzymes from enzymediane.com.  We got her on the Tylan and I gave her b12 injections every three days.  She does amazing now.  She tops out between 50-60lbs but because she had it so early on and her body was fighting just to keep her alive, her growth was slightly stunted.  We love her!

I'm sorry your guy is having issues.  We ran into issues with Kaisa again when we moved from Florida to MD.  It took a bit to get her back to good, but she's done well the last year or so with no flares.  We use the US 8X from enzymediane.  I substituted with 6x once and it didn't go well.   So now I know to stick with the 8x.  Feel free to PM me if you want someone to talk to and bounce ideas off of!  I hope your guy continues to do well!

This is a recent pic of him.  How is your doggie doing?

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Does your shepherd have EPI??  Ours does and we have to do the same thing with the enzymes.  Quoting wish_hope:

The food usually goes by weight of the dog and I do think that seems way too little. The bag of dog food I have for my jack (15/20 pounds) says to feed him 1 1/3 a cup a day and for a 45 pound dog 3 cups a day.  The german shepherds get 5 cups a day except one which has  health issues and he is on around 9 cups a day till he puts on some weight right now. I can not do an automatic feeder because the one with health issues has to eat food with powder on it and he can not have any of the other dogs food or he will get really sick.

Dani_Lynn
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I remember seeing it at PetSmart, but our PetCo doesn't carry it.  I get it now at a store PetValu that I get like every 5th bag free (helps when it's the only thing my dog can eat).  When we were at Fort Riley, a local pet store carried it and would order it.  The big box stores may, too, if you ask.  Or if it's on their website maybe they can do free shipping from site to store?

Quoting mlogsdon:

I haven't seen it at the bigger pet stores, and I've looked online but shipping was INSANE!

I'm at JBLM. I haven't looked at any smaller stores, I didn't know they may special order. Thanks :) that stuff is expensive, but her coat was shinier and she didn't stink us out with her nasty farts ;-)

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Check Tractor Supply Company (TSC), PetValu, or PetCo.  That is where we have always found it.  Also check the smaller mom & pop pet stores.  They may order it for you.  Where do you live?

Quoting mlogsdon:

We have an English mastiff, and she gets two scoops in the morning, and two at night. Unless she hasn't finished from the morning, then we just top off her bowl. She's a healthy weight for her size.

We used to feed taste of the wild in Louisiana, there was a tractor supply in the area, but I don't know where to find that around here. She gets pedigree large breed now.

Army-Wife0128
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM

No. We have a German Shepherd and we have never gone by what the bags say. 

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM

If the food is high quality they don't need to eat as much.

Dani_Lynn
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Dog Daze and Snoopy's Dog House in Puyallup both sell it.  Smiley Dog in Seattle offers free Delivery in the greater Seattle area.  All the Best Pet Care and Mud Bay both sell it in Bellevue.

Quoting mlogsdon:

I haven't seen it at the bigger pet stores, and I've looked online but shipping was INSANE!

I'm at JBLM. I haven't looked at any smaller stores, I didn't know they may special order. Thanks :) that stuff is expensive, but her coat was shinier and she didn't stink us out with her nasty farts ;-)

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Check Tractor Supply Company (TSC), PetValu, or PetCo.  That is where we have always found it.  Also check the smaller mom & pop pet stores.  They may order it for you.  Where do you live?

Quoting mlogsdon:

We have an English mastiff, and she gets two scoops in the morning, and two at night. Unless she hasn't finished from the morning, then we just top off her bowl. She's a healthy weight for her size.

We used to feed taste of the wild in Louisiana, there was a tractor supply in the area, but I don't know where to find that around here. She gets pedigree large breed now.

ccmvm
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

i just pour in the bowl, he usually tells me when hes hungry. hes only a small >15lbs dog

DevilInPigtails
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

With my younger lab, we are lucky if she eats what the bag says, she has a nervous stomach.   So I found a high protein food that she doesn't have to eat as much to maintain a healthy weight, plus she likes it more, Blue Natural Wild, something like that.

But my old dog when she was under 10 we had trouble keeping weight on her since she was so active.  So no we didn't feed her what the bag says.   We ended up using a food they sell for high energy dogs.  Now that her kidneys are failing we feed her what she will eat, was 6 cups, now just 2 cups of a prescription Iams food.

We feed them what they need to maintain a healthy body weight.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

My huskies had Purina...  I left it out for them all the time - they ate when they wanted...

M.E.Langlands
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Watch her weight (under all that fur!). Find out roughly the corect weight for her breed and sex. If she is getting too fat, reduce the amount in each feed. A fit, lean dog is a healthy dog and will live longer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN