Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Medical POA

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM
  • 12 Replies
Hi ladies. I have a question maybe one of you can answer. SO and I aren't married, but we have a five year old son together. Please spare me the lecture about not being married. :)

Anyway, if our son has his own dependant I.d. card, then why do I need to show a medical power of attorney? I have to show my agent card (or dod, I work on base) & its listed in his file that I am his mother.

His primary care physicians office never asks for the POA but I had to take him to Madigan for an echo cardiogram and they made such a fuss that I didn't have a POA, couldn't tell me why I needed it, just that it "is the rule". They almost refused him but luckily the dr said it wasn't necessary. Btw, I have one, I just didn't have it on me. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proud_tx_mommy
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Some procedures may require both parents permission. I had to use one when ds had surgery while DH was deployed.

Eta - We were at Bragg when that happened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM

This.  Keep it with you in the future.  You might not run into a doctor who will be willing to do that again. 

Quoting proud_tx_mommy:

Some procedures may require both parents permission. I had to use one when ds had surgery while DH was deployed.

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Weird, I had this reply typed out, hit add reply & it did nothing. lol 

Anyway, I was saying...

I keep it in the glove compartment in the car now, it would get torn, wrinkled, & all sorts of destroyed if it stayed in my purse. I was just surprised at how big of a fuss they made.  SO is on missions a lot, so he rarely ever makes it to any of Elijah's appointments. He's had echo cardiograms done at this hospital every year since he was born. Every time he's gone its always been me taking him, and they've NEVER refused us like that before. The receptionist over all was just rude in general, and then went on to lecture me about us not being married, like it was ANY of her business. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

This.  Keep it with you in the future.  You might not run into a doctor who will be willing to do that again. 

Quoting proud_tx_mommy:

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Point is, it's a requirement...  One which they can refuse service without it.  Having an ID card is great, but it's not the same.  They can get sued...

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Anyway, I was saying...

I keep it in the glove compartment in the car now, it would get torn, wrinkled, & all sorts of destroyed if it stayed in my purse. I was just surprised at how big of a fuss they made.  SO is on missions a lot, so he rarely ever makes it to any of Elijah's appointments. He's had echo cardiograms done at this hospital every year since he was born. Every time he's gone its always been me taking him, and they've NEVER refused us like that before. The receptionist over all was just rude in general, and then went on to lecture me about us not being married, like it was ANY of her business. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

Quoting proud_tx_mommy:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

you should always have it, they have a right to request it at any time.

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM

See thats the thing, they never said it was a requirement. I mean, we got it in case God forbid something happens. But I mean, he is my biological kid, so thats why I'm asking..why do I need a POA to seek medical treatment for MY child? I understand they can refuse service, thats not what I was asking. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

Point is, it's a requirement...  One which they can refuse service without it.  Having an ID card is great, but it's not the same.  They can get sued...

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Anyway, I was saying...

Quoting jas_momof2:

Quoting proud_tx_mommy:

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Quoting gunsgirl:

Thats not what I asked... Why should I have to have a POA for my own biological child?

Mommytorn
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Alot of things for military dependent a require the service members signature and if they aren't available you have to have a POA it really has nothing to do with you guys being unmarried..when my DS was born the check in paperwork required me hubby's signature even though I was giving birth lol at our base kids can't be registered for daycare or any of the activities or summer camps without the service members signature
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Quoting Mommytorn:

Alot of things for military dependent a require the service members signature and if they aren't available you have to have a POA it really has nothing to do with you guys being unmarried..when my DS was born the check in paperwork required me hubby's signature even though I was giving birth lol at our base kids can't be registered for daycare or any of the activities or summer camps without the service members signature

Well, I work on base at the daycare. So as far as daycare & activities on base go I've always been able to sign for that since I work there I just put myself down as the sponor. Works out easier that way since SO is gone so much. 

The lady at reception said if we were married I wouldn't have to have one & it would just "make things easier". lol 

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

because you are not married to the military member.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting gunsgirl:

Thats not what I asked... Why should I have to have a POA for my own biological child?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN