Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lasik and deployment

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • 18 Replies
Does anyone know if there is a 6 month waiting period after getting Lasik surgery before you can be on an active boat?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andy15
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

no there isn't.

Pugsmuggler
by Rebecca on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Quoting Andy15:

no there isn't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andy15
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Not yet. I have some friends who got it done tho. they were on the ship, had 3-5 days con leave and then came back. I am on the waiting list right now. I dont know about PRK tho.

Pugsmuggler
by Rebecca on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Awesome, hubby is in school and will go back to a boat in 4 months. The poor guy has really bad eye sight :P

Quoting Andy15:

Not yet. I have some friends who got it done tho. they were on the ship, had 3-5 days con leave and then came back. I am on the waiting list right now. I dont know about PRK tho.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahG82
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I had PRK when I was in the Marines.  It was a 2 month wait.

Andy15
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Its not what you want that will get it faster, it depends on what your CO catagorizes you as. a Cat 1 is like for SEALs and such.. and it goes to CAT 4 which is the least of them all.. Most times COs will give CAT 2's...but it all depends. Good luck to your hubby.

fourlittlebees
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband is Army but his unit did a 90 day freeze before deployment for anyone doing lasik.  However they had one soldier sneak off and do it anyway; she signed a waiver and deployed with them.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM
I sure hope he has better results than I had! I got Lasik about 8 years ago and my eyesight began deteriorating after year 3. I am back to needing correction but had I known that Lasik would prevent me from using contact lenses in the future, I wouldn't have had it done.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM
It's as long as your profile lasts. The doctor needs to sign off on it to deploy. Mine profile was 4 months and a friend of mine had complications and ended up on a profile for almost a year.
MegG25
by Meagan on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I don't think so, dh got lasik in July of 2010 and was training in September.  he was on active duty orders in November of 2010, it was never a problem for us!  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)