Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families
Does anyone know if there is a 6 month waiting period after getting Lasik surgery before you can be on an active boat?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Replies (11-18):
lindsay122001
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM
OT but my mom has had it done twice. She's now in glasses again. Didnt seem to help any. She's pretty disappointed....

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I sure hope he has better results than I had! I got Lasik about 8 years ago and my eyesight began deteriorating after year 3. I am back to needing correction but had I known that Lasik would prevent me from using contact lenses in the future, I wouldn't have had it done.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I could have it done again, but NO THANK YOU! LOL I don't know if I'm just a wuss or what, but recovery was very painful and uncomfortable for me. 

Quoting lindsay122001:

OT but my mom has had it done twice. She's now in glasses again. Didnt seem to help any. She's pretty disappointed....

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I sure hope he has better results than I had! I got Lasik about 8 years ago and my eyesight began deteriorating after year 3. I am back to needing correction but had I known that Lasik would prevent me from using contact lenses in the future, I wouldn't have had it done.

fourlittlebees
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband had PRK in 2005 and still has perfect vision.  I remember him having a profile to to wear sunglasses when outdoors for 1 year.  Eye Drops for 1 year and no PT for like 2 weeks.  He got 1 week of convolence leave.  He was TRADOC at the time so deployment wasn't an issue.  He has no regrets at all.

Pugsmuggler
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you everyone!!! you all rock!

OliviasMommy611
by Brittney on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Were you over 25 when you had it done?

Quoting lindsay122001:

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsjonzy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:06 AM

My husband had prk between deployments, he had 6 months between them. I know there is a recovery time, he was out for over 2 weeks, but he can see now. 

JMmama
by Kara on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Do you find that your eyes are really dry? My mom had LASIK a few years ago and although she can see fine, her eyes are ridiculously dry. She has prescription drops that she used like 2 or 3 times a day but then throughout the day she has saline drops that she uses at least hourly. It would drive me crazy. Watching her do it kind of drives me crazy but that is probably mainly the constant talking about the drops that grates on my nerves.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM

No, thank goodness - but I've heard that can be a side effect. I never had any of the other typical side effects, either - like light sensitivity or halos. I just wish it would have worked.

Quoting JMmama:

Do you find that your eyes are really dry? My mom had LASIK a few years ago and although she can see fine, her eyes are ridiculously dry. She has prescription drops that she used like 2 or 3 times a day but then throughout the day she has saline drops that she uses at least hourly. It would drive me crazy. Watching her do it kind of drives me crazy but that is probably mainly the constant talking about the drops that grates on my nerves.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN