Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Headed to Fort Benning...

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

Dh and I have been married 7 years and this is my first army move. He has been in Korea for 21 months and will be coming home in Feb/March. I have had plenty of friends tell me a PCS move is a pain in the behind and I have no clue where to start. I have lots of antiques and I am scared to death they will be damaged. I have been told to take lots of pictures and whatnot, but any advice would be welcome.

Anyone in here at Benning? My brother tells me the base is huge. We will be living on post and I was wondering how long the average wait is for housing. I am really nervous and stressed out about this. So help please!!!

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:04 AM
That was my dh's first duty station. We only lived there for a year before he went to Korea. It has grown a lot since we were there in '01-'02. I'm not sure about housing. The Px is decent. I have only been there a few weekends in the last 10 years, so I don't know about housing or anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Honestly, if your dh is lower enlisted live off post. Housing there is terrible for lower enlisted and in the past year I have never heard if so much crime on an army post then there. We just left in October. We lived in Phenix City on the Alabama side. I hated Benning, but made the best of it because I kind of had to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Armymom134
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Quoting SierraLynn:

Honestly, if your dh is lower enlisted live off post. Housing there is terrible for lower enlisted and in the past year I have never heard if so much crime on an army post then there. We just left in October. We lived in Phenix City on the Alabama side. I hated Benning, but made the best of it because I kind of had to.

DH is a E6.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM
So hopefully youd be going to McGraw or Patton villages. Also be warned, they built those houses, all of them in a matter of 6-12 months. They did so when the Armour training brigade moved down there from Fort Knox mid 2011. They have a lot of problems I've heard and witnessed. and like most other big posts, housing is not so anxious to send maintenance out. They are nice houses aestheticlly just not built soundly.

I'm not trying to scare you about housing, but inform you. All of my friends that lived on post wish they had someone tell them beforehand so they could look off post as well and didn't feel stuck because all they saw were the pretty houses. Ya know.

Quoting Armymom134:

Quoting SierraLynn:

DH is a E6.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Armymom134
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Quoting SierraLynn:

So hopefully youd be going to McGraw or Patton villages. Also be warned, they built those houses, all of them in a matter of 6-12 months. They did so when the Armour training brigade moved down there from Fort Knox mid 2011. They have a lot of problems I've heard and witnessed. and like most other big posts, housing is not so anxious to send maintenance out. They are nice houses aestheticlly just not built soundly.

I'm not trying to scare you about housing, but inform you. All of my friends that lived on post wish they had someone tell them beforehand so they could look off post as well and didn't feel stuck because all they saw were the pretty houses. Ya know.

Quoting Armymom134:

Quoting SierraLynn:

DH is a E6.

We are leaving behind a house with a mortgage attached to it. I had one lady tell me a while back that living off post was expensive. So we are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to our finances. DH is adamant that we live on post so we can be close to his work and save on gas and so we don't possibly get stuck with a high utility bill that might affect our ability to pay our mortgage. I'm ready to pull my hair out.   

I should add that we have 4 kids and we would need a pretty big house to accommodate us all, so this is just one more thing.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Benning is huge but it's all training areas. The housing areas aren't that huge. We lived off post in N Columbus when we were there. All the new housing was going up at that time and it was cheap & shoddy, unfortunately.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rodos
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM

my son will be going back to fort benning in feb.his housing is ok. just bring lots of raid to kill the palomino bugs in other words the cockroach bug.it is hot in the summer!columbus is ok . the base is big and growing. good luck we will be going down in feb. to see my son and help him move back in. good luck!

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

My friend is in Columbus. Her husband is a DS, she said the worst thing about it so far is the hospital sucks!

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM
That it truly does. I've never seen an MTF so bad.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

My friend is in Columbus. Her husband is a DS, she said the worst thing about it so far is the hospital sucks!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM

She called me freaking out all over the fact there is like 2 buildings. She went to the one and they said it was at the other, the other said it was at the first. She walked circles for a while! She was so upset!

Quoting SierraLynn:

That it truly does. I've never seen an MTF so bad.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)