Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about enlisting

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am 30 yrs old w/ a 10 yr old daughter. My fiance and I are to be married early next year and I am thinking about enlisting in either the Navy or Army. I am almost finished my bs degree in legal studies but the job market here really sucks so we thought about going into the service to start my paralegal career. I have taken the ASVAB before and can choose any career but Nuke.I have only been from home once for something like this and it was the police academy. I am so uncertain because I know it will give us new opportunities but the concern is making it through training. I am more brains than brawn and that's why I'm insecure about it.Being away from the family during our first year of marriage is going to be a challenge but he sees it differently than I do. He sees it as short term for better long term opportunities plus we have known each other for 13 yrs. My daughter really likes adventure and is highly adaptable. I don't know how the military affects children. My fiance is supportive in any decision I make and will help me prepare in anyway he can (prior AF). If I go Navy, I don't know where I could end up for any training or station. Army will keep me in SC where we live for both boot and school. I could use any advice any moms can provide.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Greco
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM
I'm a military brat myself and I can tell you that the military lifestyle doesn't affect children as much as you would think. Kids are tough and adaptable. I never knew that there was a different way of living and had major culture shock when my dad retired and we entered civilian life. Apparently I loved it because I married back into it ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Are you going to try for a commission? If you have a good recruiter they will qualify you for the highest program available to you. Be wary of any recruiter that never brings up anything but being enlisted.
I just retired from the AF and my whole family misses the military and military sense of community. My kids are 4 and 7 and I wish I'd had them earlier. We spent the last 3 years in Europe. Loved it!

A great benefit of joining the military is your marketablity in the civilian sector. You wont be just another college grad with little to no work experience. Who knows, you may love it and decide to make it a career. Nothing out there beats the 20 yr military retirement. I'm 40 and I have the security of a retirement check each month.

Good luck whatever you decide! Honestly I tried to talk my DH into joining the army after I retired. That's how badly I miss being in the military.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Finish you degree, you can go in on the commissioned side
Aqua_Jen
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Finish your degree, get married and then talk to a recruiter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

with your age you mayl have to go enlisted. navy is up to age 35 for officer - And boot camp at 30 is going to be tough. also just about everyone in BC will be between the ages of 18-21 - when you get done with BC and get done with school your will be the oldest  E3-E4 in your unit, you will have 18, 19 and 20 year olds telling you what to do all day long.

For the navy you could end up anywhere even a boat that will soon deploy for 6 months, for the army you could end up in afganistan or korea unaccompanied for a year right after tech school, you COULD be looking at being away for up to 2 years.

if your looking to join def work on the physical fitness standards the last thing you want to do is be the oldest and the weakest in the group.

weezer_cookie
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM
I would go for a commission over an enlistment. What is your degree?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:06 PM

What does you fiance doing for a living?

Armymom134
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Quoting gunsgirl:

with your age you mayl have to go enlisted. navy is up to age 35 for officer - And boot camp at 30 is going to be tough. also just about everyone in BC will be between the ages of 18-21 - when you get done with BC and get done with school your will be the oldest  E3-E4 in your unit, you will have 18, 19 and 20 year olds telling you what to do all day long.

For the navy you could end up anywhere even a boat that will soon deploy for 6 months, for the army you could end up in afganistan or korea unaccompanied for a year right after tech school, you COULD be looking at being away for up to 2 years.

if your looking to join def work on the physical fitness standards the last thing you want to do is be the oldest and the weakest in the group.

You can take your family to S. Korea.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

not every can, there are limits on who can and can't take dependents.

Quoting Armymom134:

Quoting gunsgirl:

You can take your family to S. Korea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck!
The army won't "keep" you anywhere unless you are national guard.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)