Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reservist... to stay in or get out.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM
  • 14 Replies

Peace & love :), so I've been debating trying to figure out where I can answer this question without being judged, and I hope this is the right place. I'm 22 years old, I've been in the Army Reserves for 5 years, served 2 deployments, and oh yeah I'm pregnant lol. This is my first pregnancy, and I've been given the option as other pregnant soldiers to either get out of the military or stay in, due to my pregnancy. I'm engaged, so it's not like I'm in this pregnancy by myself, my fiance, his parents & mine are so excited. But anyway, I have one more mandatory year of active service, and 2 years of service where I can be called upon by Uncle Sam for whatever assignment they see fit.

I'm a very *worrisome* person, to where I already know I probably won't want to be ANYWHERE without my child, let alone another state for possible training, or country for a possible future deployment. Knowing this, I feel I should just take the opportunity and get out now to avoid any complaining in the future about having to leave my little one.

On the other hand, I love getting sent on assignments, (training, schools, deployments) I love to be on the move. And it doesn't take a genius to see that the economy isn't doing too well, the Army is a good thing to be apart of because I can request to be on orders in case of a layoff or something like that. I love being in the Army.. well lol.. overall I do lol. Anyway, any advise ? If you were making this decision what would you consider ?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaEST.99
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been in the Guard for 16 yrs and have three children.  It is never easy to leave your babies.  The only justification for the sacrifice I make is that I need the income and want to retire.  But if you could get the same income, satisfaction, and feeling that you get from the military from a civilian job then you may want to consider getting out and not have to leave your babies.  Again it's not an easy decision as non-soldier mommies might think

MeseRed
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I'm so far away from retirement to where I don't even know if I'll stay that long. I hate my civilian job as it is, and if I wasn't pregnant would be trying to find ways to go active duty or volunteer for a state side tour or something lol. I'm trying to convince myself to just stick out these last 3 years and see how it goes =/ ... I'd just hate to make the wrong decision, ah !!

MommaEST.99
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Have you tried to get a full time Reserve / Guard Job. Active Duty pay and you get to stay home (except for deployment)  There arent many but its almost the best of both worlds.  Also civilian reserve / guard jobs.

MeseRed
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:24 AM

You mean like AGR ? I'm not sure if I can put in an AGR packet right now because I'm pregnant and my PT test just expired (over a year old). I know that I can request to be put on orders for an extended period of time, like 90 days at a time I think, I'll ask about that. I didn't even think about the civilian reserve jobs, good point !

Tish_Hughes
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I was never informed of that option by my CoC....I wouldn't have taken it anyway.

MeseRed
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:26 AM

LMAO what is up with your "Aint nobody got time for that" hahaha. That clip is funny, my commander counseled me as soon as I gave him my proof of pregnancy paperwork and told me my options. Why wouldn't you have taken it ?

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I just had my son in Oct and also hit my 6 year mark for the AF Guard. When I was pregnant I was asked jokingly if I wanted to get out... Never took it serious, but another female said she was probably going to get out due to her child and also that her husband is constantly gone as an overseas contractor. She doesn't really have much of a family care plan. I have my family that helps out and I'm still planning on using the Guard to pay for school. I don't live in the state that I drill but just the educational benefits that I have and will use help make my decision easier. My husband is an active duty marine and he supports my choice to stay in because just that benefit of eduction makes it worth it for our family. I've gone to my first drill this month and been away from my little one... I didn't worry as much as I thought... It helped that I left him in good hands. Good luck in your decision.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommaC11
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Stay in. Keep the option open. You obviously won't be deployed while you're pregnant, but that will still count toward your time. It will keep your health insurance active and affordable, while still offering you a monthly pittance check.

The Reserve side is the perfect place to have a family where you're active and home more often than not while still remaining involved with military stuff. 

If it were me and I was pregnant right now, I'd stay in. Extend a year or two, and see where you fit in after that is over.

Tish_Hughes
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Quoting MeseRed:

LMAO what is up with your "Aint nobody got time for that" hahaha. That clip is funny, my commander counseled me as soon as I gave him my proof of pregnancy paperwork and told me my options. Why wouldn't you have taken it ?

I thought that was hilarious and it seems liked everything I used to post in a certain group would be a "ain't nobody got time for that" moment, lol. Mine was supposed to counsel me but nobody ever did. I wasn't going to get out anyway.

Elle.tea.22
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM
I made this desision 10 months ago. I stayed :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)