Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soldier Mothers dealing with Custody Battle???

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:02 AM
  • 8 Replies

Any Military mothers out there dealt with a custody battle?  The law has change in PA that they cannot take my military status or deployment into account when making a judgement.  But my Ex is still doing everything just to make things soooo difficult.  I haven't even filed for support yet because I just know how much more difficult he's gonna be.

I'm just looking to hear about some experiences of mothers who can relate.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
FIREFOX1336
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Haven't dealt with it, had a friend who divorced while she was Air Force, but all I know was she got majority of custody, not sure details though. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cholita1978
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm AD Navy and back in 2009 I went for full custody of my dd, xhusband made fun of me telling me that "it wasn't gonna happen" the court date came and the judge listened to both sides, he gave me full sole custody of dd, he has visitations but if he takes her w/o my permission anywhere he'll be in deep trouble.

I don't ask for child support, I know some might criticize but by no asking for child support I can keep him from starting to act like an asshole (once I mention money to him, he backs off) and doesn't bother me.  But that's just me, financially I can take care of dd and I don't need him at all.

First_One_8_18
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this
The judge in my case looked at it as a positive thing that i was active duty. I'm able to provide a stable life for them , have a support system, ect
MommaEST.99
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Thanks for comment, I have the same thoughts as far as the finances.  Sometimes the money is not worth the aggrivation.

Quoting cholita1978:

I'm AD Navy and back in 2009 I went for full custody of my dd, xhusband made fun of me telling me that "it wasn't gonna happen" the court date came and the judge listened to both sides, he gave me full sole custody of dd, he has visitations but if he takes her w/o my permission anywhere he'll be in deep trouble.

I don't ask for child support, I know some might criticize but by no asking for child support I can keep him from starting to act like an asshole (once I mention money to him, he backs off) and doesn't bother me.  But that's just me, financially I can take care of dd and I don't need him at all.

MommaEST.99
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:51 AM

BUMP!

momtimesx4
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Keep in mind that as a single parent, you will be required to have a valid family care plan else out you go.

EmmaZate
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Your military and deployment status will be taken into account, for two major reasons: one, the child will be returned to the other parent upon deployment, and two, deployments can be for up to 15 months in some cases, and for younger children it can be in their best interest to stay with the other parent on a permanent basis.

However, if it is unsafe for your child to be with their other parent that long, other arrangements will be made. Your military status won't be used against you, but, it seems that your military status can harm you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
PA is a mother state PLUS the military life is an advantage since you have a guaranteed steady check and lots of family resources at your disposal.

Depending on the child's age, distance from where you live to BD and deployability, you should be fine
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)