Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The toy drive for Operation Homefront

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

So at the dollar tree they kept asking for donations to Operation Homefront for toys for needy military families.  So I checked it out when I got home. Last year they collected 7 million toys for needy military children. I have never even seen anything about this on base, or where to sign up, or known anyone who has used this. Anyone know that this was going on?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
beerebelly
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

And also, I know a some military families do struggle with finances, but 7 million toys seemed like A LOT to me to be passed out. IDK.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I've seen it here... I think you have to be E4 and below or have some kind of hardship...  They've already come and gone this year, but your Family Readiness center should have info about eligibility...

Aqua_Jen
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM
I'm pretty sure this. But last year the kids each got something from them. I'm pretty sure they each got a puzzle and a stuffed animal, so nothing huge but nice small gifts. This year I didn't hear anything or look for it.

Quoting jas_momof2:

I've seen it here... I think you have to be E4 and below or have some kind of hardship...  They've already come and gone this year, but your Family Readiness center should have info about eligibility...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizzys_mommy13
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

You have to contact the OMBUDSMAN to sign up for it. I'm not sure on dates and such for sign ups though. I've never done it. I generally just donate. lol I was tempted to sign up this year though. With a new baby on the way and due so close to Christmas, I came super close to calling and signing up so that we would be sure to have Christmas stuff for dd. BUT we managed to save up enough the last couple months to get her quite a bit. 

Jonasmom
by Christina on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I'm sure it's pretty much over now. I know ours was at the beginning of the month, I heard about it through a spouse facebook page and registered online. We also got a $25 gift card for the commissary from one of the churches in town. It was a great surprise and really helped. 

They also have a program called holiday meals for military where they give lower enlisted vegetables and a voucher for either a turkey or ham and a voucher for a pie. It's only in about 10 or so bases though. We're lucky enough to live an hour away from a base that was participating. Once again I heard about that one through a spouse Facebook page.

supermommie1
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

they just did it in san diego.. i know a friend who took her kids to pick out toys

proud_tx_mommy
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM
They had an event at Bragg & then they also gave a lot to the frgs to hand out as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)