Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

...with more then one child. How do you do it?! Financially I mean. I want to have another child sooo bad but we are worried about money. I also am not a fan of working while there is a baby around. I would want to stay home if possible. So I guess my question is stay at home moms with husbands who are in the E-4 or less pay grade, how do you do it? 

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
Mrs.Greco
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Make a budget and stick to it. We don't have a ton of extra money but we have what we need and we're happy :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I had 3 kids at E4. He's an E5 now and we have custody of a friends with no assistance and we make it with a car payment and karate lessons
Apollos82
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Is it really that hard to live within your means?? My husband is currently under-employed and we just had a baby. An E4 paycheck would be living large for us...even as it is, we still try to live within our means. It's not complicated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM

But I don't wanna give up that new Coach bag! I need my weekly hair, nail and skin treatments! And like, I CANNOT be caught dead driving or let alone riding in anything domestic, it's gotta be foreign and with 3 little letters, BMW!!!

Mommytorn
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
My hubby just made E-5 but even as an E-4 we made it just fine with 2 kids and we have 2 car payments and my college that we pay for (I'm a SAHM and a full time student) we budget and try not too spend a lot on extras we have a small savings account (like $200-$400) and keep a credit card for emergencies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
An E4 can afford all that AND multiple kids? Sign me the hell up because as an E6 with ONE child we sure as hell can't.

Quoting Anonymous:

But I don't wanna give up that new Coach bag! I need my weekly hair, nail and skin treatments! And like, I CANNOT be caught dead driving or let alone riding in anything domestic, it's gotta be foreign and with 3 little letters, BMW!!!

cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM

LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

SandraJo
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM
DH is an e2, and I'm a SAHM. We just do it. It's hard, and I really have to think about my purchases. $3-$4 here and $3-$4 there, and before you know it, all your money is gone. We're lucky that our truck is paid off. So no car payment. We do have a $100 allotment for some furniture we financed, but since its an allotment, we never even see it. I can't wait for April and I can turn off my phone line with Sprint. That's freaking expensive. Ugh.

Shop sales. I make a lot of food from scratch. If we want cookies, or cake, we bake it ourselves. Which means we don't have it often. I hate baking cookies. DH loves baking though. Chips are a special treat.

If you can get something for free, take it. We got a recliner and a picnic table from someone PCSing who didn't want to have it hauled all the way overseas. Someone else bought a new washer and dryer and let us have their old ones. Thrift stores can be your friend for clothes. You really have to go over your budget and look at what do you really need, and what is a want.

It is do-able. Might be tight, but it is. Do you have cable and internet? Would it be cheaper to shut off the cable and get netflix? Shop around for cheaper car insurance.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LiLsMaMa21
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM

We have a hard time with our budget. I guess we're still getting used to it. We just got married five months ago and still need a lot of stuff...kitchen table, vacuum, etc. I just drew up a new budget for us and it's going to take some getting used to and I will have to work until we have the baby and save every penny but I am feeling a little more confident reading these replies. I understand that we have to live within our means...we will be better off when I am working and we can communicate better as far as our budget is concerned. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Dh is e-4 and I stay home, we have 2 kids. We live on base because we couldn't find a similar type place with rent and utilities at bah, people argue that bah isn't for utilities well I argue that bah covers it all on base so why not take advantage of it. We have basic cable, and our cell phones, one car payment at $286 a month the other one is paid off, then insurance and dh's star card. We started our oldest in preschool which is $124 a month, and we have the max in taxes removed. After everything is pai for the month we have $300-$400 left for food and extras a pay period. We use wic which helps especially with milk we go through at least half a gallon a day, and for outings we go to different parks with picnics, attend various play groups, and this summer we got a zoo membership. We have everything that we need and our only debt is the one car and his star card, which together is around $15,000 right now. Our tax return is always huge (we'll see how all the changes effect it) but we normally put a huge chunk to the kids accounts then pay off car insurance and put a good chunk toward a debt wether it be the car or credit card.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN