Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

...with more then one child. How do you do it?! Financially I mean. I want to have another child sooo bad but we are worried about money. I also am not a fan of working while there is a baby around. I would want to stay home if possible. So I guess my question is stay at home moms with husbands who are in the E-4 or less pay grade, how do you do it? 

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
LiLsMaMa21
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Quoting SandraJo:

DH is an e2, and I'm a SAHM. We just do it. It's hard, and I really have to think about my purchases. $3-$4 here and $3-$4 there, and before you know it, all your money is gone. We're lucky that our truck is paid off. So no car payment. We do have a $100 allotment for some furniture we financed, but since its an allotment, we never even see it. I can't wait for April and I can turn off my phone line with Sprint. That's freaking expensive. Ugh.

Shop sales. I make a lot of food from scratch. If we want cookies, or cake, we bake it ourselves. Which means we don't have it often. I hate baking cookies. DH loves baking though. Chips are a special treat.

If you can get something for free, take it. We got a recliner and a picnic table from someone PCSing who didn't want to have it hauled all the way overseas. Someone else bought a new washer and dryer and let us have their old ones. Thrift stores can be your friend for clothes. You really have to go over your budget and look at what do you really need, and what is a want.

It is do-able. Might be tight, but it is. Do you have cable and internet? Would it be cheaper to shut off the cable and get netflix? Shop around for cheaper car insurance.

The $3 here and there is what gets us right now! We are really starting to realize that. Starbucks, cigs, fast food...we have made a promise to each other to cut it all! As far as thrift stores for clothes, we usually shop places like Burlington coat factory, Kohl's, and Target and I will never buy full price! I can get us all clothes for super cheap! We don't have cable and we use wifi...we do have netflix and hulu (getting rid of hulu soon) but that's all. I love netflix and don't think we will ever have cable again...not as long as we have internet. Out phones KILL us! We go through Verizon and they are SO expensive! We are going in tomorrow to talk about cutting the bill and how much longer we have on the contract and will probably be switching when it's up. 

hellomilla
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband just enlisted as an E2 and we have one child. I used to work before we got pregnant but once our daughter was born I became a SAHM. It took a lot of budgeting to get used to 50% of our income being gone but we did it. E2 pay is about twice what we were living on before so it's been easy for us so far. We clothing shop at thrift stores, I coupon for groceries and household items, we only eat out once a month if that, no cable only wifi w/ Hulu and Netflix, no car payments, breastfed, we don't smoke or drink alcohol, and we don't buy "luxuries" unless it's for a holiday. We do have a credit card we have/use for emergencies and right now we have a "New Car Fund" saved up so hopefully before we get to our first duty station we will have a second car. Budgeting is the key! If you can cut cigarettes out completely you will probably save enough each month to cover diapers! Lol goodluck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blondie.mom
by Charity on Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:04 AM
Dh is e4, we have 2 kids. I stay at home....we just live within our means. We're still making payments on dh's mustang he bought when he was a newby ($465 a freakin month!), we live off base, and still have extra to get what we want. I don't find it hard to do, but I've always been a saver so I'm used to it.
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:29 AM

We were snug as an E5 with 2 kids, but was paying off debt. Became much better after getting some of the debt paid off. I'm thinking we will be just fine here in Germany!

klbetts
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM
My DH is an E2. We live pretty comfortably on his income. Meaning we aren't going into debt. We have 3 kids. I also work to pay child support for my oldest and childcare for the two little ones while I work. We own our vehicles and have no credit cards. If we want something expensive we save for it. I have always had a tight budget and can get groceries for the whole month for around 250. I also utilize websites for dinner ideas and coupons. I very rarely use brand names and shop thrift stores for clothes. We put some away each month in case of emergencies.
SierraLynn
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM
My second was born a month before my dh made E5. We made it work. We saved as much as we could before she was born for everything she needed and wic is a lifesaver for us even with him as a 5 for formula since I don't produce breastmilk.

Figure out where every cent of tour money is going throughout the entire month and make a budget. Or just wait for him to gain rank.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
socialworker227
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

We had a budget, used coupons, breastfed, we didn't have cable, just internet, we didn't eat out, I fixed my husband lunch everyday and he would come home to eat. We cut our cell phone bill by calling around and getting the least expensive plan. We lived in a cheap apartment that was actually pretty nice. We survived and did just fine. Just look at what you currently are spending and try to figure out a way to reduce costs anywhere you can.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Its a lifestyle choice... If you want kids and want to stay at home you give certain things up. Husband is an E5 and we just had our first... We won't try for another till he makes E6.
ccmvm
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

my 2nd kid really didnt cost a thing. I cloth diapered my first and just reused all that for the 2nd. breastfed exclussively. we cosleep so didn't need any new furniture or a nursery. I used an old toy organizer for new baby's clothes (worked out really well actually). i had everything left over from my first and reused it all. I learned after having my first that all that baby gear and gadgets were not needed.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM

we have friends that started out as E3 with 2 kids. She budgeted. they rarely ate out, lived comfortable, but made sure they were living within their pay check. she was on WIC for formula for their baby*once the baby stopped using formula they stopped using wic*  and used cloth diapers so it wasn't as expensive.  you just do what ya got to do:) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN