Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

...with more then one child. How do you do it?! Financially I mean. I want to have another child sooo bad but we are worried about money. I also am not a fan of working while there is a baby around. I would want to stay home if possible. So I guess my question is stay at home moms with husbands who are in the E-4 or less pay grade, how do you do it? 

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
TippyD
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM

we found a hand me down table. they have vacuums at walmart for under 100$. *can get a table at walmart for under 200, if you need to spend 50$ for a card table and chairs until you can afford the table you want and then you have a extra table when you have friends over:)* I actually stopped working, and it saves us more money. :) just consider, that if you do go back to work you have to pay for child care AND  gas, and extra food.. for us, it is more cost efficient for me NOT to work than to work and try to cover all of that. Like others have said, dont be afraid to take hand me downs. even if it isn't pretty it will work until you can get something you would like*we still have our handme down table 8 years later...we are saving up for a table that I want:)

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

We have a hard time with our budget. I guess we're still getting used to it. We just got married five months ago and still need a lot of stuff...kitchen table, vacuum, etc. I just drew up a new budget for us and it's going to take some getting used to and I will have to work until we have the baby and save every penny but I am feeling a little more confident reading these replies. I understand that we have to live within our means...we will be better off when I am working and we can communicate better as far as our budget is concerned. 

cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

You can get a cheap vacuum at Walmart for $30. You can find a cheap table there or many other places for under $200. It may not be exactly what you want, but it will do.  We did without a lot for a long time.  Four kids on E4 wasn't easy, but we did it and we still had extras.

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

We have a hard time with our budget. I guess we're still getting used to it. We just got married five months ago and still need a lot of stuff...kitchen table, vacuum, etc. I just drew up a new budget for us and it's going to take some getting used to and I will have to work until we have the baby and save every penny but I am feeling a little more confident reading these replies. I understand that we have to live within our means...we will be better off when I am working and we can communicate better as far as our budget is concerned. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM

This is one of those situations where just because you *can* make it like that doesn't mean that everyone would necessarily *want* to.  I wouldn't. My husband and I married when he was an E-5 and made E-6 within the first year we were married. We still decided that kids were expensive enough that we could only afford one and still do the things we wanted to do and live the way we wanted to live, and that is with both of us working, I've never been a SAHM. 

It's all individual choice. I'd rather have my Coach bag and my hair done, but I pay for those things myself, not with even a penny of my husband's money.

Quoting cocoroo:

I was a sahm until about 2 months ago. My dh has been in the Army for 12 years, so I did it from E1-E6. I had our 3rd child when he was an E2 and our 4th when he was an E3 or E4. We never had a problem.

cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I completely agree that it is a personal choice. I choose to stay home and raise my children.  We didn't intend on having four children, but I wouldn't change it now. We live well, we are happy, we have a nice house and we fought and worked for all of it.  I wouldn't change that.

And, my dh and I are married. There isn't his money or my money. It is our money.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

This is one of those situations where just because you *can* make it like that doesn't mean that everyone would necessarily *want* to.  I wouldn't. My husband and I married when he was an E-5 and made E-6 within the first year we were married. We still decided that kids were expensive enough that we could only afford one and still do the things we wanted to do and live the way we wanted to live, and that is with both of us working, I've never been a SAHM. 

It's all individual choice. I'd rather have my Coach bag and my hair done, but I pay for those things myself, not with even a penny of my husband's money.

Quoting cocoroo:

I was a sahm until about 2 months ago. My dh has been in the Army for 12 years, so I did it from E1-E6. I had our 3rd child when he was an E2 and our 4th when he was an E3 or E4. We never had a problem.

LiLsMaMa21
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing with the whole "his money, my money"...we don't keep track. We just do what we have to do and don't care who's account it comes from because it's ours. But it is most definitely a personal choice and I would LOVE to have another baby and stay home. 

Quoting cocoroo:

I completely agree that it is a personal choice. I choose to stay home and raise my children.  We didn't intend on having four children, but I wouldn't change it now. We live well, we are happy, we have a nice house and we fought and worked for all of it.  I wouldn't change that.

And, my dh and I are married. There isn't his money or my money. It is our money.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting cocoroo:

ReadWriteLuv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this

We have always had separate accounts. We make nearly equal amounts of money, he keeps his, I keep mine, and we split bills 50/50. It works for us, it was just a decision that we made early on in our marriage. We've never fought about money, not even once, in 11 years. We just fight about everything else, LOL. It works for us, it wouldn't work for everyone.

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting cocoroo:

LiLsMaMa21
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I know a lot of people who do that and it works for them :) 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

We have always had separate accounts. We make nearly equal amounts of money, he keeps his, I keep mine, and we split bills 50/50. It works for us, it was just a decision that we made early on in our marriage. We've never fought about money, not even once, in 11 years. We just fight about everything else, LOL. It works for us, it wouldn't work for everyone.

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting cocoroo:

Dani_Lynn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Just my 2 cents...my $40 vacuum I bought at Walmart to "make due" when my Dyson died is better than the Dyson. I love that its not bagless and I don't have to mess with cleaning it which always grossed me out. I'm getting a new vacuum because I want a canister vacuum now that we have 3 stories to get the stairs better.

Quoting cocoroo:

You can get a cheap vacuum at Walmart for $30. You can find a cheap table there or many other places for under $200. It may not be exactly what you want, but it will do.  We did without a lot for a long time.  Four kids on E4 wasn't easy, but we did it and we still had extras.

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Absolutely.. ours is still going with 6.5 years of use:)  lol.. I just cleaned out the spinny thing on the bottom tonight, and we just take care of it:) and it is still kicking:)

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Just my 2 cents...my $40 vacuum I bought at Walmart to "make due" when my Dyson died is better than the Dyson. I love that its not bagless and I don't have to mess with cleaning it which always grossed me out. I'm getting a new vacuum because I want a canister vacuum now that we have 3 stories to get the stairs better.

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

HarrisonMD
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Quoting mom2ljh:

No, we couldn't. Nor did we qualify for WIC. We did what we could. We go a lot of formula from friends on here. I also got deals on eBay. If not for that, I don't know what we'd have done.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

My son had to be tube-fed high calorie formula with supplements. We never had to pay because we had a scrip. Couldn't you get a scrip?

Quoting mom2ljh:

Nope. I worked throughout my pregnancy, intending to return to work following it. DS's preterm birth and health issues prevented that. His requirement of a hypoallergenic diet ($400+/month) further restricted our budget. We did everything we could to stay within means while still feeding our ill child.

Quoting cocoroo:

You must live way above your means.

Quoting Anonymous:

No idea. Even with DH being an E5, with one child it was very difficult.

What do you mean you dont qualify for WIC? E4 should qualify unless you're bringing in an income that is too much?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)