Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

...with more then one child. How do you do it?! Financially I mean. I want to have another child sooo bad but we are worried about money. I also am not a fan of working while there is a baby around. I would want to stay home if possible. So I guess my question is stay at home moms with husbands who are in the E-4 or less pay grade, how do you do it? 

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
mom2ljh
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I said we were E5. Not that it matters as that was over 5 years ago. DH is an E6 now and things are much better. DS FINALLY outgrew his allergies and can have a normal diet so many variables improved our situation. :-)

Quoting HarrisonMD:

Quoting mom2ljh:

No, we couldn't. Nor did we qualify for WIC. We did what we could. We go a lot of formula from friends on here. I also got deals on eBay. If not for that, I don't know what we'd have done.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

My son had to be tube-fed high calorie formula with supplements. We never had to pay because we had a scrip. Couldn't you get a scrip?

Quoting mom2ljh:

Nope. I worked throughout my pregnancy, intending to return to work following it. DS's preterm birth and health issues prevented that. His requirement of a hypoallergenic diet ($400+/month) further restricted our budget. We did everything we could to stay within means while still feeding our ill child.

Quoting cocoroo:

You must live way above your means.

Quoting Anonymous:

No idea. Even with DH being an E5, with one child it was very difficult.

What do you mean you dont qualify for WIC? E4 should qualify unless you're bringing in an income that is too much?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM

just wow ,I guess I will never complain .My husband is O-3 with 4 years and we just had our first.I have gone from full time to part time ,I am a nurse so I had been making more than my husband.We owe nothing except our mortgage but I have been worried .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Your O3 dh makes more than my E6 dh with 13+ years in. We don't want to hear it.

Quoting Anonymous:

just wow ,I guess I will never complain .My husband is O-3 with 4 years and we just had our first.I have gone from full time to part time ,I am a nurse so I had been making more than my husband.We owe nothing except our mortgage but I have been worried .

LADYxGHOST
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Living on post is a good option.  However given that all the way up to E-4 are auto promotions, I would suggest supporting your husband in gaining promotion points and working to get his E-5. Personnally we found it a stuggle even as duel military.  But living on post can cover many of the expenses and minimize expenses like gasoline.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:33 AM

sorry I didn't realize this was only for enlisted.My husband worked hard in college to finish with honors and has worked hard here and during his deployment.He didn't luck into his job.It is available to any that meet the criteria including your husband.

Guess everthing I heard about this group is true.Sad really sad.Bye

Quoting Anonymous:

Your O3 dh makes more than my E6 dh with 13+ years in. We don't want to hear it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Apollos82
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Bu-bye!

Quoting Anonymous:

sorry I didn't realize this was only for enlisted.My husband worked hard in college to finish with honors and has worked hard here and during his deployment.He didn't luck into his job.It is available to any that meet the criteria including your husband.

Guess everthing I heard about this group is true.Sad really sad.Bye

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:08 AM
Everyone worries about money, especially when your income drops regardless of how much you make. Did you miss the part where she said she won't complain.

With our last PSC we no longer get COLA and BAH dropped quite a bit. Financially we're fine but seeing those much lower numbers in our checking account freak me out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:25 AM

how much is e4 pay grade and ill tell you if i'd be able to do it and how i would budget it if you want

MWV85
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM

we made it work.....with 2 kids. DH pays $500/month in CS too.

we are not picky ppl so it was not too bad.

mama0106
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM
I'm a stay at home mom,we hav 2 children,we r E-7 it is hard for us ,we r learning to budget are money alittle better,and not get everything we see,save,save,save,if u know that u want a bigger family start putting money aside now,even if it means ur bank acct loking alittle short in the checking area,and the saving looking great,2 children is not too bad and u can do it on a E-4 salary,I wish u and your family well good luck .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)