Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Pcsing this month...Need some questions answered?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 4 Replies

We are Pcsing by the end of this month and I'm going insane because they gAve my husband his orders this week so we are now getting everything done. His report date is Feb. 10. So here are some questions that I will appreciate if answered. Thanks for your time girls!

1. How can I get things prepared for the movers? 

2. We are moving to Hawaii from Georgia, if anybody has had the same experience how long Or an estimate of how long it takes for our car to get there? Furniture?

3. I heard that they give us money to travel. Is that true? 

So those are some questions for now that I need answered. Please hold any critism its not necessary. Thanks!

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I went from Missouri to Germany. Put what you don't want them to take or pack in your vehicle or a room that says stay out. I have manuals for the fridge and stove from our old rental place. I don't know about time to HI but it took about 2 months for our car and our house hold goods to get here. You can ask for an advance for your travel pay, they will give you 80% and when you get to HI make sure you do the paperwork and you will get the other 20%. If you forget to fill out paperwork they will take back that 80%.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM

1. How can I get things prepared for the movers? clean, toss out old food, old spices, otherwise, don't pack anything they will most likely just unpack and repack it.

2. We are moving to Hawaii from Georgia, if anybody has had the same experience how long Or an estimate of how long it takes for our car to get there? Furniture? depending on where your shipping from it can take 4-8 weeks for both to get there

3. I heard that they give us money to travel. Is that true? depends on where your traveling, from and how you are traveling, if your only flying and the flight takes less than 8 hours you will only get a few dollars for food. if it is over 8 hours and or consists of an over night stay you can get per diem. You will also get DLA to help cover the costs of moving into a new place. If your not driving you are also not entitled to MALT ( for gas).

usmcwifey11
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Yep, this. Where are you going in GA?

Quoting gunsgirl:

1. How can I get things prepared for the movers? clean, toss out old food, old spices, otherwise, don't pack anything they will most likely just unpack and repack it.

2. We are moving to Hawaii from Georgia, if anybody has had the same experience how long Or an estimate of how long it takes for our car to get there? Furniture? depending on where your shipping from it can take 4-8 weeks for both to get there

3. I heard that they give us money to travel. Is that true? depends on where your traveling, from and how you are traveling, if your only flying and the flight takes less than 8 hours you will only get a few dollars for food. if it is over 8 hours and or consists of an over night stay you can get per diem. You will also get DLA to help cover the costs of moving into a new place. If your not driving you are also not entitled to MALT ( for gas).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KateKashman
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:16 AM

You are entitled to TLE and TLA, for temporary lodging at both ends of the move:    http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2012/06/10/temporary-lodging-allowances/   You need to make a reservation for your place to stay in Hawaii ASAP.  Your husband's sponsor should be able to help with that.

The military will purchse your plane tickets.  Keep receipts for all other expenses, many of them are reimbursable.  You will receive meals and incidentals money for each day of travel, probably just one or two while you fly.

You will recieve DLA and request a portion of it in advance.  http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2012/06/05/dislocation-allowance-dla/

You can also receive help with pet quarantine costs, if you are shipping a pet.

Good luck to you.  It is a crazy adventure, that is for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN