Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Can you collect BAH if the spouse moves to another state?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 14 Replies

Can you collect BAH if the spouse moves to another state? I'm still new to the Army, so I dont know the answer to this. My SIL is moving back to her home state to care for her mother for at least a year or so. My brother is stationed at FT. Hood. They live on post as of now, but she seems to think that if they get out of their house on post they will collect BAH again. Can they still collect it if she moves out of state? I'm not sure how that would work unless my brother stays with a friend. Is he able to move back into the barracks? But then I would think they would not get BAH if he did that. I always thought that his wife and kids had to be living where he is stationed unless he is deployed.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_Army_Wife05
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If they move out of housing, they will get BAH, BASED on where he is currently stationed. Now, if they are still legally married and she is just going home to take care of a loved one, they should still get BAH in hand, as long as they are not living on post. But, he will have to find a place to live off post, so that is something to think about. he will need the BAH to pay for his housing off post. No, he will not be able to live in the barracks. Even if he is living with a friend, they still get BAH.

wedding countdown

Mom2Rylin
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Thank you for the info!

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM

It will be up to his Command to determine if he can live in the barracks. Otherwise, they will have to split his BAH between the two households.

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I did something similar to this when my dad had heart issues early on in my marriage. My husband was stationed in HI but dad was in FL. My Husband's Command let us give up our base housing, gave him barracks and we got to collect the BAH while I went back to FL to help care for my dad for almost a year. Had they not of allowed my husband in the barracks he would of had to rent a room for that time period. 

lil_Army_Wife05
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Well, here and the last 3 places we lived at, they didn't allow a married soldier to live in the barracks. I've also never heard of them spliting the BAH, other than when they are getting a divorce and we've been in for a long time.

Quoting usmclife58:

It will be up to his Command to determine if he can live in the barracks. Otherwise, they will have to split his BAH between the two households.

wedding countdown

Mom2Rylin
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM

UCFknight, how did you all go about that? Does he need to show proof that his wife is caring for her mom? Or does he just talk to his command and hope they approve it?

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The military wouldn't split the BAH, the couple would! LOL

Quoting lil_Army_Wife05:

Well, here and the last 3 places we lived at, they didn't allow a married soldier to live in the barracks. I've also never heard of them spliting the BAH, other than when they are getting a divorce and we've been in for a long time.

Quoting usmclife58:

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

And? Just because YOU have not experienced it does not mean it not allowed. There is even a title for it - geographical bachelor. My husband was a geo-bach for 7 months, living in the barracks while BAH paid for our apartment I was living in.

And does it really have to be explained to you that the couple would split the BAH, not the military? Goood grief. If you have "been in for a long time", you should know all of this already. Just saying.

Quoting lil_Army_Wife05:

Quoting usmclife58:

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Quoting Mom2Rylin:

UCFknight, how did you all go about that? Does he need to show proof that his wife is caring for her mom? Or does he just talk to his command and hope they approve it?

I actually spoke with the chaplain first. Not from his Command just the base Chapel I was attending. This was over a decade ago, and my husband was an E-3. He asked me to get my dad's medical information from my dad's doctor proving that care was required. I didn't realize at that time, he was already talking with our Command about my Dad's situation.

Because mom worked full time, to support them both (dad was retired), she was unable to take time off. He spoke with my husband's command chaplain, and then we were both brought in to speak with my husband's C/O. He had a wonderful Command who was extremely willing to help. We were very fortunate!

Because I was taking courses online, I could finish my degree anywhere. not all commands are so willing to help. Had a friend at our last command who wanted to do something similar to this to help her mom. But the Barracks were full, so command had no choice but to deny him of the barracks. But, he did end up renting a room from a friend for about 6 months. 

pittawadda
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Geobat

In fact, depending on where you are geobats may room together. In Germany they lived in on post housing as roomates. But they can live in the states too. It really varies. But it all depends on the situation.

My husband lived in the barracks in Germany while married and we lived in the states and got BAH. He was a GEOBAT. He then moved offbase in Germany because they didn't have enough room in the barracks anymore and he collected BAH for there as well. Of course in Germany it is for exactly what is rent is so it wasn't like we were banking extra..

Quoting lil_Army_Wife05:

Quoting usmclife58:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)