Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Tacky or not??

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM
  • 35 Replies

If someone gives you something for free and then you turn around and sell it, is that tacky?

Back Story : I gave this girl a ton of baby clothes. She seemed like she really needed the help. This was a year ago. Yesterday I saw her putting them on the yard sale (where she got them from to begin with) and selling them. Admin says she can not do anything. (which I understand ... sorta) But my husband thinks I am making a big deal outta nothing. I just think this is sooo tacky. Am I alone in this thought?

~* I know of nobody who is purely autistic, or purely neurotypical. Even God has his autistic moments, why is why all the planets spin. *~

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't see an issue with it. I sold some of the clothes I was given in order to buy sizes up as my kids grew. 

shesliketx
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM
It's tacky, but since you gifted them to her, she can do what she wants with them.

Personally, someone gave me a ton of baby clothes when I had my first son. I used them for my second son as well, and now that he has outgrown everything, we gave the baby clothes to a friend who is expecting their first child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM
4 moms liked this

Tacky or not the clothes are hers now. If she wants to sell them, that is her choice. I could see your point if you gave her the clothes yesterday, and she turned around and sold them today. THAT is wrong. You gave them to her a year ago. And you contacted the admins of the yard sale page?  : /

mcwife86
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

you gave them to her a YEAR ago...what did you expect her to do with them after she couldn't use them anymore? if you had stipulations on your gift then you should have laid them out before she took them.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Let me get this straight... you GAVE someone something and now you're upset because she's selling it. First it was nice of you to gift her something, but its hers now regardless of how you feel so she can do what ever she likes. Second I find it juvenile that you contacted the admin of the site to complain... what exactly did you want her to do? What was the end game of the complaint? What I do find tacky is a person complaining about how someone else chooses to use their gift. Silly.

pittawadda
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Pretty much

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Let me get this straight... you GAVE someone something and now you're upset because she's selling it. First it was nice of you to gift her something, but its hers now regardless of how you feel so she can do what ever she likes. Second I find it juvenile that you contacted the admin of the site to complain... what exactly did you want her to do? What was the end game of the complaint? What I do find tacky is a person complaining about how someone else chooses to use their gift. Silly.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting usmclife58:

I don't see an issue with it. I sold some of the clothes I was given in order to buy sizes up as my kids grew. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by Mary on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't care. If I'm given items for free, I give them to the next person. If they sell those items, whatever. If someone buys items that went through at least 3 different people, that's on them lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

We have given EVERYTHING that dd outgrows to friends- crib, strollers, clothes, toys and once they are out of the door I don't give it a second thought- when you give something away- it is no longer your concern...I just like to know that someone can use it whether it be the person we gave it to initially or someone else... And hubby is just happy that our house doesn't explode with stuff that we really have no use for...

MrsMalsam
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Personally, I don't think it's tacky at all. Especially since it was a year ago! Maybe they're hard pressed financially and need to buy bigger sizes for their kid and are using that money for clothing? Things happen. You gave them to her, now she should be free to do with them what she chooses without judgement by you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)