Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Rude kids and mom's that don't care at the parks on post.

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM
  • 83 Replies

I haven't been so upset in quite a while.

Today Daniel was off work, so we took AJ to a park on post. As soon as we arrived she got so very excited and started asking "Mommy, where are all the kids?" We told her no kids were there today. "Awww" She then continued to play for the next hour and a half and had a blast with Mommy and Daddy.

Then two mothers arrived with three kids; a girl about 5 and two boys about 3 and 4. AJ stopped what she was doing ran over, "hi kids! I'm AJ!"

The girl gave her a dirty look, one boy ignored her and when the other boy's mom said "tell her hi" he responded "I don't want too."

Cheerful AJ tried her best to play but they just ignored her.

The mothers sat down at a table. The three kids took off, AJ yelled "Kids! Wait!" and ran after them. They refused to even acknowledge her. Told her to go away, complained she was there and as AJ ran down a hill after them, the girl shoved her down and threw a bunch of leaves in her face. AJ said "I'm ok."

Daniel yelled 'no' at the girl...which scared the crap out of her but she stopped. We coaxed AJ to another part of the play ground to get her mind off the kids, but you could see she was hurt.

Through all of this the women sat there, never once watching their kids, reprimanding their behavior.

AJ doesn't get to play with many kids. She isn't in daycare. When she is around them she is outgoing, friendly, often stopping what she is doing and offering her toys to others. It kills me to see others ignoring her and being downright mean. Ugh.

AJ is 2 1/2, advanced verbally for her age, and very bright. She is also small for her age...still wears 18 months on a good day. Maybe it is her size. I don't get it. She is the child that smiles and waves at everyone, who gives up her toys to others and offers her snacks. 

It killed me that the mom's weren't even sitting where they could clearly see their kids, let alone keeping the girl from pushing AJ around. The girl was even hitting her brother and swinging part of a branch at the other boys. Frankly, a bullying brat.

Needless to say, we left and came home. AJ cried to go play with the kids halfway back to the house.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but if AJ acted like those kids, I'd be mortified.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this

It sucks that they were mean to her, and it is never okay to throw things or shove, but... That is really the end of where I agree with you. I am not going to force my kids to play with someone they do not want to play with. Sorry. If you want her to be around kids more often, take her to a drop-in daycare or set up a playdate at your house or something like that. And some kids fight rough. I know we used to hit each other, wrestle around and all of that. We knew not to go crying to the adults when we got hurt, too.

violinjewel
by Julia on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM
I agree with all of this.

Quoting usmclife58:

It sucks that they were mean to her, and it is never okay to throw things or shove, but... That is really the end of where I agree with you. I am not going to force my kids to play with someone they do not want to play with. Sorry. If you want her to be around kids more often, take her to a drop-in daycare or set up a playdate at your house or something like that. And some kids fight rough. I know we used to hit each other, wrestle around and all of that. We knew not to go crying to the adults when we got hurt, too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree. Had it been my 5 year old I would have reprimanded her for pushing your DD down and throwing leaves at her, but I also would have told your DD, "Sorry, sweetie, they just want to play on their own right now. Maybe next time."

Quoting usmclife58:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like my kids. They just prefer to play with each other, or alone. Especially my ds. Now I won't tolerate rude behavior but if my kids don't want to play with others that is fine with me. Also, it can get very annoying for a kid to be following them around after they said they don't want to play.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I agree here.  I have a special needs child who is 4 years old but has the overal mentality and development of a 1 year old.  Many children his age bug the crap out of him to play with them and such.  I usually have to end up telling the child that my son just wants to be left alone.  He doesn't talk and doesn't want to play with other children...just the way he is.

Quoting beerebelly:

Sounds like my kids. They just prefer to play with each other, or alone. Especially my ds. Now I won't tolerate rude behavior but if my kids don't want to play with others that is fine with me. Also, it can get very annoying for a kid to be following them around after they said they don't want to play.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM

My son is never rude though...he doesn't understand how to be rude.  He usually just ignores other children and walks away.

LynLaBelle
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM
6 moms liked this

Apparently you misunderstood. It wasn't about the fact that the kids didn't want to play. It was about the fact that 1) they had no manners, 2) the oldest (who was old enough to know better) pushed my kid down and threw stuff at her and 3) their mom's weren't watching them, in fact they were across the playground ignoring their children and could not even see them the majority of the time.

Do I expect every kid to think mine is so special that they have to play with her God no. But do I think you should watch your child and keep them from being rough. Absolutely. As soon as the they mom's saw two other adults near their kids they did their own thing. It's a large playground with obstructive view from where we were at.

The youngest boy who just ignored her didn't bother me so much. He seemed shy anyway. The other girl acting like a total brat? Yea I take issue with that.

Also it's not like we let her chase after the kids for an extended period of time. We tried to get her to play near them so she could see the kids, not with them. They ran down a hill so she thought it'd be fun to run down. The girl came over, pushed her down, and threw a armful of leaves in her face.

That being said would I ever let any of my three kids be rude to another, shove them around and flat out ignore a child? No. Would I force my kids to play with someone, no. But I would encourage them to give it a shot. Frankly a lot of people these days no longer have any manners, adults more so.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM
4 moms liked this

I didn't misunderstand anything. I do not think anyone else did either. We just disagree with you.

LynLaBelle
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Well luckily after speaking to another mother at our post we've decided to set up play dates. She and a couple friends of hers have had the exact same issue. Bratty, rude children and parents not watching them.

Tish_Hughes
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't have taken kindly to my kid being pushed and having stuff thrown in her face. I don't know how she is when I'm not around, but my daughter sounds a lot like yours. Really friendly. I would have told her to leave them alone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)